Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Locals On The Southern Division

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1014989  by blocksignal

This is a late post here but I was heading back from railfanning the BC NJT line last Sunday (1/30/2012) driving down Riverside Drive. As I crossed the NYS&W tracks I looked West and saw a headlight. I knew that could not be the SU-99 so it had to be a local. This was at about 5:15 PM. I saw the last part of the train go by when I tried to get to the grade crossing near the Rt. 80 overpass. Fortunately the local stopped and switched at Marcal.

I hung around a bit and observed 2 locomotives and 2 box cars. The lead locomotive looked like a Suzie-Q Yellow Jacket and the 2nd one may have been a CEFX lessor - I do not know what the numbers were (It was dark by this time). They pulled the 2 box cars out that were on the siding North of the of the main and shoved the 2 box cars they brought with them onto the siding. They headed West from there once finished.

2 Questions:

1) Does this local always come down here on Sundays around this time and which "WS-" is it?

2) Do any locals work on Saturday anywhere along the Southern division and if so at what times & which "WS-" would that be?

BTW when the local was backing into the siding a 2nd time the grade crossing lights at Riverside Drive started flashing and the gates went down. The gates went back up & the lights stopped flashing. Then a few seconds later the lights started flashing again and the gates went down - this time staying down for a good 10 minutes or so. There was no other train or MOW vehicle in the vicinity so I presume this was a sensory or circuitry malfunction or both? Just curious.

Blocksignal.
 #1014992  by waldwickrailfan

blocksignal wrote:This is a late post here but I was heading back from railfanning the BC NJT line last Sunday (1/30/2012) driving down Riverside Drive. As I crossed the NYS&W tracks I looked West and saw a headlight. I knew that could not be the SU-99 so it had to be a local. This was at about 5:15 PM. I saw the last part of the train go by when I tried to get to the grade crossing near the Rt. 80 overpass. Fortunately the local stopped and switched at Marcal.

I hung around a bit and observed 2 locomotives and 2 box cars. The lead locomotive looked like a Suzie-Q Yellow Jacket and the 2nd one may have been a CEFX lessor - I do not know what the numbers were (It was dark by this time). They pulled the 2 box cars out that were on the siding North of the of the main and shoved the 2 box cars they brought with them onto the siding. They headed West from there once finished.

2 Questions:

1) Does this local always come down here on Sundays around this time and which "WS-" is it?

2) Do any locals work on Saturday anywhere along the Southern division and if so at what times & what "WS-" would that be?

BTW when the local was backing into the siding a 2nd time the grade crossing lights at Riverside Drive started flashing and the gates went down. The gates went back up & the lights stopped flashing. Then a few seconds later the lights started flashing again and the gates went down - this time staying down for a good 10 minutes or so. There was no other train or MOW vehicle in the vicinity so I presume this was a sensory or circuitry malfunction or both? Just curious.

Blocksignal.
once in a while an extra local will switch near Saddle Brook Yard. and rarely, but sometimes if they run on Saturday or Sunday their designation is WSX.
 #1017374  by blocksignal

Thanks Waldwick for the info, thanks for the clarification of that 2nd engine Sports, nice photos Brian. By the way what time did the local switch Marcal yesterday Brian - thanks.

BTW I am guessing that the boxcars on the Marcal siding are fulls and the ones the local brings are empties or do I have it backwards?

Blocksignal.
 #1017384  by brianc02

I had heard them working PC yard and head west early. It was sometime between 8-9am on Sunday at marcal. They left right after and headed into Paterson.

I thought they brought loads of scrap paper into the plant for recycling. They used to receive truck loads of the stuff from the local neighborhoods.