Railroad Forums 

• NYSW's SD45s

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#986339  by lvrr325

They also swapped out the wheels on the F45 with one of the SD45s.

Even with scrap prices as high as they are now, with the new EPA regulations regarding locomotive overhauls, and so many SD40-2's out there surplus as big roads replace them with newer engines, it is just plain cheaper to buy good used SD40-2s, SD50s, and the like that have hours left on them, than it is to overhaul an existing engine so that it will meet the new regs. You can often buy one that runs great basically for it's scrap value.
 #1004263  by N_DL640A

Sid Farkus wrote:Thanks for that. Where the GE's that worn out that NYSW no longer wanted to use them or spend the money on overhauling them? I understand they were built in the late 80s and went without rebuild, but was it more profitable for NYSW to just sell the fleet of them to P&W and let their needed updating be their problem? And on 3636, I've seen they already started dismantling the unit and appears to be headed for scrapping in the future. Seems like once Walter passed, so did 3636. I think he was the only one that particularly liked that unit as he went through the extra effort to put the engine back into service after being OOS for several years.
3636 definately had the affection of Mr. Rich.
There was talk of fixing the 3636 for years before she went back into service. There was actually consideration of using a 16 cyl engine to rehab the unit, and also of adding a HEP generator in the far back of the carbody for executive train service!
However, a running take out 20 645 was used instead, and the rest is history.
We worked on and off for most of 2005 and into early 2006 returning the unit to service, as we had other work to deal with as well.
We did, however tighten up the cab as well as we could, to prevent drafts, and installed all new cab heaters, and a higher capacity aux gen to help carry the heating load. We also added some sound proofing to the back wall of the cab. All with the goal of increasing crew comfort / acceptance. Some crews loved 3636, and some hated 3636 - but it seemed the general consesus was that she was better than before. It was always agreed upon that she was a good puller and a reliable unit, though.
It's worth noting that 3636 was fixed after the 3612 was stripped and scrapped and the 3614 was stripped as well. We even used some parts from 3614 to put 3636 back in service. It's also worth noting that the 3612 and 3614 were relatively intact before they were stripped and both could have been returned to service with enough work; however while 3612 and 3614 were being stripped, 3636 was left alone.
Very sad to see her go down so soon after she went back on the road.

The GEs (B40-8s) were sold to a third party by the lessor, at the end of the 15 year agreement, and that third party then sold the units to the P&W. The units went to railroad contractor RMDI / SLRRS at Utica for cab signal installation and other work before shipment to P&W, as was done earlier with the P&W's ex LMX B39-8s. NYSW never did any of the work, although it was performed in the NYSW Utica shop.
I'm not certain whether NYSW declined to purchase based on the (percieved) greater cost of GE's due to parts; or if NYSW was outbid / outmauvered by the third party. I heard both stories, and wasn't close enough with anyone in authority to know all the details.

It would have been interesting if NYSW had kept the B40s, as they had plenty of life left in them at the end of the 15 year lease.
 #1004718  by lvrr325

I suspect the price to purchase at the end of the trust is negotiated as part of the trust. It seems like that price is higher if the financing is shaky at the beginning of the lease. Which, in the case of these units, NYS&W could only get the 4, the remainder that turned up were backed by CSX, so they may have agreed to a higher final purchase price to get theirs financed. There are lots of examples of roads dumping entire groups of units at the end of the trust rather than buy them, yet keeping other, older units.

And when the B40-8 trusts expired, you could buy running SD40-2s for scrap prices that were much cheaper than scrap is bringing now. Same for units like U23Bs and B23-7s. So most likely it was just plain less expensive to replace these units with some old clunkers - and just a matter of finding the ones that were the least clunky. I seem to recall units selling at auction for as little as $20,000 (UP SD40-2s).