Railroad Forums 

• Hurricane Irene Damage

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#966552  by waldwickrailfan

Angus202 wrote:The southern division is inspected by hi-rail at regular intervals (every week?), per FRA guidelines. I'm sure they sent one out before a 500K lbs work train.

By 9AM Sunday morning, it was still coming down, but the Q had moved all equipment out of the Ridgefield Park facility - anyone know where they parked mom & dads Geeps for the duration of the storm? Where is the work train gear stored on the east end these days? Haven't seen anything tucked-in on a stub down by the turntable in some time.

Cheers!
~R
i went to Ridgefield Park today, i saw the engines the work train was on, just not the cars.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=CBPEBYMH8Uc
by the way, not my video. and 500k? not that much. maybe 300 at most
 #966714  by blocksignal

Good afternoon I observed that the section of NYS&W track and CSX Riverline track under and around Route 495 were totally under water this past Monday. It did not look a whole lot better yesterday (Tuesday). Hopefully the water has receded significantly by today - I will check it out.

Given all this flood info on the Suzie my first question is are the SU-99 and SU-100 running and to what point? I am planning on doing some railfan photography this Friday around the Ridgefield Park area and vicinity.

Also with some of these flood zone areas it begs the question has anything been done or will anything be done lately to either alleviate or even rectify the situation with regards to tracks being washed out, etc.?

Is Su-99 still running Mon-Wed-Fri leaving Little Ferry around 4:30 PM or so? Lastly when does the local run through following the SU-99? Thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #966746  by waldwickrailfan

blocksignal wrote:Good afternoon I observed that the section of NYS&W track and CSX Riverline track under and around Route 495 were totally under water this past Monday. It did not look a whole lot better yesterday (Tuesday).
i went to ridgefield park tuesday morning and saw a river line train head south. also if your talking about the nysw being flooded, it all cleared up.
blocksignal wrote:Also with some of these flood zone areas it begs the question has anything been done or will anything be done lately to either alleviate or even rectify the situation with regards to tracks being washed out, etc.?
they are fixing this. see this video.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=7L6FX7nkR_g
note:not my video.
blocksignal wrote:Is Su-99 still running Mon-Wed-Fri leaving Little Ferry around 4:30 PM or so?
is still is, but i dont know if they are running this week. if you have a scanner, the channel is 160.485. there is usually a lot of chatter as to where the su-99 and su-100 is.
blocksignal wrote: Lastly when does the local run through following the SU-99?
yes, i usually find it up in Wyckoff(30 min from RP) around 7PM. it could do work between point a and point b, but is usually passes by around 7PM.

hope this helps, and i am planning to go to ridgefield park friday too, maybe i'll see you there.
 #967040  by blocksignal

Waldwickrailfan thanks for all this helpful info. I unfortunately do not have a scanner so I will just have to take my chances. Even if there is no Suzie action there at least should be CSX action I would imagine. Yeah maybe I will see you there as well.

Blocksignal.
 #967048  by waldwickrailfan

blocksignal wrote:Waldwickrailfan thanks for all this helpful info. I unfortunately do not have a scanner so I will just have to take my chances. Even if there is no Suzie action there at least should be CSX action I would imagine. Yeah maybe I will see you there as well.

Blocksignal.
if you do, i will have a scanner with me, and my dad. we will most likly be sitting either in the car, and i will be walking to and from the end of the block(where you can see the southbound signals) or on a bench. if you see us, be sure to say hi. :)
 #967053  by blockline4180

Any idea when the NYSW will be sending the 60+ cars or so up to CH to interchange for the East Penn??

Where is the NYSW washout out at this moment?? It must be all north/west of Sparta Jct.
 #967109  by Steve F45

There are no washouts currently from Ridgefield Park to Sparta, sparta to warwick no idea. Hudson Secondary i've seen people post that there are some, but no confirmation. Hudson Junction to Port Jervis, well there are a few by Otisville Tunnel, not sure about any others. Binghamton to Port Jervis is FINE, no washouts. BH-1 was in Narrowsburgh doing some work. So if the washouts by Otisville are not bad and can be repaired quickly and there's no more west of there till Port then NYSW can run trains again....hopefully. And maybe this is how NJT/MN will get there stranded equipment out of Port Jervis.
 #967119  by waldwickrailfan

imagine...passenger trains on the susquehanna, just not stopping anywhere. imagine those sparta NIMBYS the day that happens, if it does.
 #967120  by waldwickrailfan

Steve F45 wrote:There are no washouts currently from Ridgefield Park to Sparta, sparta to warwick no idea. Hudson Secondary i've seen people post that there are some, but no confirmation. Hudson Junction to Port Jervis, well there are a few by Otisville Tunnel, not sure about any others. Binghamton to Port Jervis is FINE, no washouts. BH-1 was in Narrowsburgh doing some work. So if the washouts by Otisville are not bad and can be repaired quickly and there's no more west of there till Port then NYSW can run trains again....hopefully. And maybe this is how NJT/MN will get there stranded equipment out of Port Jervis.
i heard of only one confirmed washout in Warwick. it isnt that big, so easily repairable
 #967152  by NYSW3022

blockline4180 wrote:Any idea when the NYSW will be sending the 60+ cars or so up to CH to interchange for the East Penn??

Where is the NYSW washout out at this moment?? It must be all north/west of Sparta Jct.
As of today the entire Southern Division from Ridgefield Park to Pelton is repaired, there are no washouts. There are numerous slow orders, however no obstructions exist that will block the flow of traffic.
waldwickrailfan wrote:imagine...passenger trains on the susquehanna, just not stopping anywhere. imagine those sparta NIMBYS the day that happens, if it does.
I doubt the Sparta NIMBYs will notice or care. It's not like they have a contingent sitting track side keeping score.
 #967163  by pumpers

Hey, that's super. Now let's see those big detour trains going to/from the Campbell Hall/Middletown cluster!
JS
 #967445  by sullivan1985

The MTA doesn't have to move anything out of Port Jervis. Those train all belong to Metro-North. NJ Transit can request that they be brought in but because there is no Port Jervis service to run, the equipment isn't really needed. New equipment rotations have already been figured out.

If the move is made, it will be interesting for sure. Just know that the MNRR is not obligated to bring anything to Hoboken via the NYSW. At the moment this is strictly railfan speculation that has the foam flying high!
 #967621  by Steve F45

NYSW is open for business. 2 eastbound road freights came down from Binghamton over the southern tier to Little Ferry. M&NJ or East Penn depending on who you talk to was working there buts off yesterday laying down ballast on the hudson secondary.

And the NJT/MN equipment move if it does happen would be nice. 8 engines and 43 passenger cars. OH MY..