Railroad Forums 

• Lease units return to the NYS&W

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#948864  by rcbsd45

3 Lease locomotives have been received in interchange from CSX at North Bergen NJ this week for service on the NYS&W. They are 2 SD40-3's and a GP38. the SD40-3's are CEFX 3108, solid grey with white reflective striping; CEFX 3126(in an SD45 carbody) in blue with white striping; and HLCX 101, a solid black GP38, with "HLCX" under the cab and "1010" in large white numerals on the side of the carbody, reminiscent of the old Illinois Central. As of today (July 5) they are all in Ridgefield Park NJ, presumably getting the once over and prepped for service. So much for solid yellow and black road consists, at least for the time being......
 #949045  by rcbsd45

Correction to my original post. the HLCX 1010 was delivered in error by CSX, and will be returned to them ASAP. The CEFX 3126 and 3108 are the only ones destined for service on the NYSW. This comes from a verifiable, reliable and internal source.....
 #949146  by rcbsd45

Add another one... CSX De Witt yard crew Y331 in Syracuse interchanged CEFX 3143 to the NYS&W overnight, making 3 SD40's on property.
 #953621  by dano23

sallenparks wrote:Also CEFX MP15D 1509& GP20D 2009.
Those units are not going to the NYSW, they are going to the Vermont Rail System.
 #954497  by N_DL640A

kingfish wrote:CEFX 3124 should be in Dewitt today.

3147 at patterson, GA waiting pick up by CSX.

All 6 are SD40-2 no dash 3s...
Good choice leasing Dash 2s over Dash 3s. Dash 3's can be a bit of a pain at times... Not as bad as the GE Fanuc PLCs QCM "installed" on their ALCOs, though!!!
 #954729  by cjvrr

Steve F45 wrote:King, are some of the nysw units that bad of shape that you guys need 6 leasers or is b/c business is picking up and not enough power?
Steve,

I was up on the ND for a railroad speeder trip this weekend. In talking with one of the NYS&W employees he said that quite a few of the engines, including the SD70s, are in that bad of shape and need total rebuilds. That could / will cost quite a bit for each unit so short term its cheaper to lease units at $300 per day until the managers decide what to do.

If I recall correctly I believe the SD 45s and the 3010 are also down for the count.
 #954990  by waldwickrailfan

Steve F45 wrote:not counting the 70's. But all the tunnel motors were fully rebuilt in 2006 aswell as I believe both 45's. Were they rebuilt that bad that they are already shot?
i guess. but they do/did work for 5 years or so. hope to see them all down here in jersey soon.