Railroad Forums 

• All Current NYSW Operations - 2010

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#767846  by NYS&W142Fan

lvrr325 wrote:
JoeCollege wrote:Agro Pharma is interested in the Woods Corners plant, and is pursuing. They are very interested in rail service provided it's viable. There are 1-2 other existing outfits in Norwich currently investigating rail service restoration as well.
I've forgotten if there's washouts on both sides or just one, if both, anyone know offhand which side is going to be easiest to repair?
According to what I saw, the major washouts were South of Norwich in the Greene, Brisben and Oxford areas. Lets hope it is decided to open the whole line. It would be good for the whole region.
 #767962  by lvrr325

No argument here, I think service would be better if the south end were open, but I'd expect with the shape the state's in and the railroad's new attitude you'll see them go the least expensive option, if they do anything at all.
 #769350  by ErieLimited2914

lvrr325 wrote:No argument here, I think service would be better if the south end were open, but I'd expect with the shape the state's in and the railroad's new attitude you'll see them go the least expensive option, if they do anything at all.
Gotta' love Republican politics! Anyone know their active roster? NOT including LEASED locomotives? And were the 1800's officially sold?
 #769606  by ErieLimited2914

charlie6017 wrote:
ErieLimited2914 wrote:Anyone know their active roster? NOT including LEASED locomotives?
Ask and you shall receive!

Courtesy of Scot Lawrence..........

http://gold.mylargescale.com/Scottychaos/susquehanna/
Thanks! Now only if we could get them to create their own heritage fleet with an Erie/EL locomotive . . . cuz we all know railroads have all the spare cash laying around!
 #769750  by lvrr325

ErieLimited2914 wrote:
lvrr325 wrote:No argument here, I think service would be better if the south end were open, but I'd expect with the shape the state's in and the railroad's new attitude you'll see them go the least expensive option, if they do anything at all.
Gotta' love Republican politics! Anyone know their active roster? NOT including LEASED locomotives? And were the 1800's officially sold?
At the risk of veering majorly off topic, I don't know what either party has to do with it. The state's in bad shape because they planned on revenue from taxes on everything from things like Wall Street profits right on down to sales taxes when you buy a candy bar. That's great when the economy's good, but when it goes in the crapper, you have a problem, people don't make as much money and they don't spend as much money - and you can only raise taxes so far before the wealthiest people just up and move away. Now the state's broke, and it's unlikely they'll be shelling out any money to pay for further rehab of the Utica branch. Unless the NYS&W starts buying lottery tickets.

As for the NYS&W itself, a "heritage" loco is highly unlikely - maybe you're just joking around, I don't know, but given their very anti-railfan nature of late, I doubt they'd do it even if they were rolling in dough. They've even creatively accounted away the Maple Fest trains -
 #769818  by airman00

you know It is funny that most railroad companies are anti-railfan. (don't get me wrong, I know it's a business) However, don't these companies realize that with railfans there is a major revenue souce they are missing out on. (Not to mention a ton of good, positive press. In this day and age, who doesn't want good PR!)

Think about this... most railfan type stuff is operated or shown off by a rail musuem or some other railroad historical society. People pay $$ for the priviledge to ride on old train cars pulled by old loco's, as well as the oppurtunity ro explore old rail yards and equipment, at these musuems and such. If such a historical society were connected or even outright owned by the actual real railroad company, say in this case NYS&W, then all that $$ goes to them. And the key with this, is to keep it somewhat small, thereby reducing costs. To me this is a win-win situation. The money they make goes to keeping railfan operation running and in good shape. So there costs would be minimal. (because railfans would pay those costs with $$ they spend at these sites)
 #772378  by Otto Vondrak

I don't know what any of this has to do with current NYSW operations... start a new thread if you want to testify about the current state of affairs.
 #856623  by blocksignal

Hi all I am inquiring to find out when during the week days and week ends the SU-99 (Westbound from Little Ferry?) and the SU-100 (Eastbound from Binghampton, NY?) run? Also I am trying to figure out how long a train from Little Ferry Westbound would take to get to, say, Passaic Junction in Saddlebrook for example? Do the locals in either direction have any particular schedule? Next week I am off from work (on vacation) and I am trying to get some photos taken of some of the road trains (thru-freights) and perhaps a local or 2 if possible - thanks.

Blocksignal.
 #856632  by 484freak

Where do NYS&W operations terminate on the Syracuse Branch?

Where do they interchange with a class 1 in Syracuse (CSX I assume)

Does the NYS&W have a yard up there? Do they have Engine storage/ repair facility?

Do they still use Utica shops for anything?

Always wondered?
 #858356  by ErieLimited2914

Since I've started this thread, I've become an NYSW Foaming expert, and would be glad to answer your questions!
blocksignal wrote:Hi all I am inquiring to find out when during the week days and week ends the SU-99 (Westbound from Little Ferry?) and the SU-100 (Eastbound from Binghampton, NY?) run? Also I am trying to figure out how long a train from Little Ferry Westbound would take to get to, say, Passaic Junction in Saddlebrook for example? Do the locals in either direction have any particular schedule? Next week I am off from work (on vacation) and I am trying to get some photos taken of some of the road trains (thru-freights) and perhaps a local or 2 if possible - thanks.

Blocksignal.
Blocksignal,
SU-99 usually run Monday-Wednesday-Friday except recently they've juggle a few around to accomodate for more traffic going west than there is coming east. Keep an eye on the NYSW Yahoo group to see if there are any announcements on odd-ball SU-99's. The crew generally is on duty/call time now between 4PM-6:30PM, and leaves generally 30 minutes after their call time. SU-100's run Sunday-Tuesday-Thursday nights with the same times.

From Little Ferry (LF) to Passaic Junction (PC) is about 15 mintues. If the 99 crew goes on duty later, around 6:30ish, the local (WS-5) will get out ahead of it and then go in the hole (usually at PC) when the 99 is going to pass them. Best bet for the locals is to use a scanner (160.485 mHz) and listen for their Form D requests.

484freak wrote:Where do NYS&W operations terminate on the Syracuse Branch?

Where do they interchange with a class 1 in Syracuse (CSX I assume)

Does the NYS&W have a yard up there? Do they have Engine storage/ repair facility?

Do they still use Utica shops for anything?

Always wondered?
484freak,
I'm not sure where exactly the NYSW terminates on the Syracuse branch, but it is with CSX. If you look at Bing maps, I believe it is west of the "wye" and past that (what looks to me as) coal facility. They also interchange with Norfolk Southern and Canadian Pacific in Binghamton as well.

The Utica shops are still being used. F45 3636 is outside the shops, and it seems like a lot of contract work goes on there. Not much goes on on the Utica branch anymore.
 #858918  by blocksignal

Erie,

First thanks for all the helpful info regarding the NYS&W SU-99/SU-100 & locals. Second where can I pick up one of those railroad scanners & what else would I need in conjunction with the scanner?

Now onto my report: I went up to Hawthorne Train Station yesterday around 4 PM and stationed myself nearby the Station area to see if I could catch a SU-99 heading Westbound. Well around 5:30 PM a Westbound rolled on through. Must have been the SU-99 road train. It consisted of the following power - Susie "Q", Susie "Q", NS, Susie "Q" pulling about 6o cars plus or minus. The lead unit was the 3618, the 2nd unit was 3012, I did not get the #'s of the last 2 units. Looked like all but the trailing unit were "on power". The trailer must have come along for the ride to perhaps "power up" in time for the grade from Riverdale to Smith Mills (I'm guessing on that). SU-99 must have been going in the 30 to 40 MPH range.

By the way I had gone down to PC (Passaic Junction) this past Wednesday on just a gut feeling to see if I could catch any Susie "Q" action and possibly an NS local and saw both. Regarding the Susie "Q" the power was Susie "Q", CSX, CSX, Susie "Q". I only got the # of the lead engine # 3016. It came through PC around 5:45 PM so it too must have been the SU-99. The power was pulling about 50 to 60 cars.

I had gone up to Hawthorne this past Thursday to see if some Susie "Q" would roll through. I stayed up there until 7 PM and nothing. So you seem to be right about the M-W-F SU-99 Westbound. Good info by you and once again thanks.

By the way regarding the NYSW yahoo group is that a forum with free sign-up? Just curious.

Blocksignal.
 #860251  by ErieLimited2914

blocksignal wrote:Erie,

First thanks for all the helpful info regarding the NYS&W SU-99/SU-100 & locals. Second where can I pick up one of those railroad scanners & what else would I need in conjunction with the scanner?

Now onto my report: I went up to Hawthorne Train Station yesterday around 4 PM and stationed myself nearby the Station area to see if I could catch a SU-99 heading Westbound. Well around 5:30 PM a Westbound rolled on through. Must have been the SU-99 road train. It consisted of the following power - Susie "Q", Susie "Q", NS, Susie "Q" pulling about 6o cars plus or minus. The lead unit was the 3618, the 2nd unit was 3012, I did not get the #'s of the last 2 units. Looked like all but the trailing unit were "on power". The trailer must have come along for the ride to perhaps "power up" in time for the grade from Riverdale to Smith Mills (I'm guessing on that). SU-99 must have been going in the 30 to 40 MPH range.

By the way I had gone down to PC (Passaic Junction) this past Wednesday on just a gut feeling to see if I could catch any Susie "Q" action and possibly an NS local and saw both. Regarding the Susie "Q" the power was Susie "Q", CSX, CSX, Susie "Q". I only got the # of the lead engine # 3016. It came through PC around 5:45 PM so it too must have been the SU-99. The power was pulling about 50 to 60 cars.

I had gone up to Hawthorne this past Thursday to see if some Susie "Q" would roll through. I stayed up there until 7 PM and nothing. So you seem to be right about the M-W-F SU-99 Westbound. Good info by you and once again thanks.

By the way regarding the NYSW yahoo group is that a forum with free sign-up? Just curious.

Blocksignal.
Blocksignal,
Railroads are going all digital within the next few years, so conventional scanners are going to become obsolete. You best bet is to get a RadioShack scanner (http://www.radioshack.com/family/index. ... 072&s=null) I have one from a few years ago and it hasn't failed once. It was a graduation gift from my uncle and he also gave me a car antenna as well which helps pick up a better signal while on the chase. For the scanner frequencies, use http://www.whrc-wi.org/railfreqs.htm

The big ones to keep close for around Northern NJ are:
EOTD (End of Train Device, sends a beeping sound in a 2-5 mile range depending on the terrain) -- 457.9375
NYSW Southern Division -- 160.485
NJ Transit Hoboken Division -- 161.400
CSX River Line NJ Dispatcher -- 160.260
Conrail Lehigh Line -- 161.070

Check these out too for extra reference and surf around the site: http://www.radioreference.com/apps/db/?aid=3237