Railroad Forums 

• Old siding in Wyckoff, NJ?

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#748830  by airman00

I didn't know that the line in wycoff was NYSW. I have seen a fairly long siding that goes into a stone and marble place? Doesn't appear that it's used anymore. Is it oos? And what was it used for? Or is it still in use?
 #749275  by ladder2

That siding you are refering to at one time went to Bergen Brick & Tile it has been oos for a long period of time. I don't rememberthe last time they received a delivery via rail. Many years
ago (back inthe 20's) this building a company by the name of Mowerson, they did get rail del'y
Hope this helps. You are talking about the siding near the old train station aren't you?
 #749277  by ladder2

I don't know what happened but that last sentence should read: the building was owned by a company by the name of Mowerson,
 #750165  by SecaucusJunction

The siding has been paved over at the crossing. In the last years of it's use, they used to be able to put short locals down toward the switch in a passing situation. I don't remember the last time I saw cars in the brick/tile company.

If I remember correctly, there was also a derailment on that siding in the 80's.
 #750606  by mb3

I think in the last 2-3 years that the siding was used to store some LPG and/or CO2 tank cars for a few days that were used by local fire dept.'s for a training exercise. Can also remember as a child (late 70's) seeing Southern and N&W boxcars at Bergen Brick, Stone & Tile. Also have heard, but cannot confirm that the parking lot by the abandoned A&P was at one time a fuel oil company- did they get rail service?
 #836948  by airman00

I happened to be in wycoff today and took a walk by that old siding, and saw that the rails were stamped 1907. And they looked like 1907 rails, real rusty and all. However, further up near where the switch to the siding is, the rails said 1996 and the switch was looking in perfect working condition. I'm wondering if maybe NYS&W kept at least part of that siding working in case of future use?

I notice someone said here about car storage and such. But in the event of future use, why pave over the crossing, since the rails are still intact into the stone place.
 #837513  by SecaucusJunction

I think they might still use it for MOW equipment.
 #837548  by trainwayne1

That spur to Bergen Brick actually originally ran off the passing siding on the north side of the main line. There was at one time, a dead end siding that ran on the south side of the main that started just west of Franklin Ave. and went almost to the station, The passing siding on the north side, which also started by Franklin Ave. was used to unload gasoline by the Valvoline Oil Co, in the mid-thirties. (Ref. Historic Rails of the NYS&W RR by James C. Schmitt....2009)
 #841405  by ErieLimited2914

SecaucusJunction wrote:I think they might still use it for MOW equipment.
They do. Tie setters, spikers, tampers and cranes were stored there in the beginning of July.