• SD45 returns from the dead!

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by charlie6017

You're right, some did go to CSX. Susie-Q kept some (and leased to other railroads). They have a few and they're going to the Providence & Worcester. At least I think!

by trainfreak

Yeah back in the day when CSX helped the NYSW aquire the B40-8 (20 in all i think.) After a little bit CSX took a good amount back leaving the NYSW with 4. Those except for the 4006 i think are at the P&W with one already in P&W paint.

by GVrooman

I just heard the 4006 getting a Form D from FORKS to PORT, so it is still active on the system. I am starting to think that it will never make it to the P&W.

by cjvrr

The original purchase of the B40's was backed by CSX and occurred during the time NYS&W was operating the D&H. When the D&H was sold to CP Rail, there was no longer a need for the NYS&W to have all those units so all except 4002-4008 (4 units total) went to CSX. From what I understand, the NYS&W actually owned those 4, but later sold them to a leasing company. When the 15 years were up the units got stored. Now they are being sold or leased to the P&W. Supposedly the 4006 was runing the system to get the bugs worked out prior to going to P&W, maybe they worked out a deal to keep it a little longer.

I do believe you are correct that there were 20 B40 units total in NYS&W paint.

by NYSW3614

4002- on P&W, not used much recently, to be painted soon?
4004- on P&W, painted Sept/Oct as P&W 4001, in regular service
4006- currently in service on NYSW, to go to P&W when?
4008- last I heard was in Utica getting work done for P&W equipment

4006 was also on the ND 150th Anniversary trips with the THSX 142, M&E FL9s and the 2012.

by trainfreak

Yeah i remember seeing the 142, 4006 and the M&E units when they transfered them up to Binghamton. And if i remember right when the NYSW first got all of the B40-8's they were even numbers from 4002 to 4048.

by washingtonsecondary

Does anyone have photos of the 4004 as 4001 in P&W paint?