Railroad Forums 

• NYS&W Speeder sighting. (not a golf cart)

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#555615  by cjvrr

Yes, that is the one I thought it was.

You can see the front left corner is the back of coach seat.

Powered by a Honda motor. It isn't one of the pretty speeders but it works.

Most are NOT homebuilt like this one.
 #581717  by RussNelson

I flagged from Cortland to Syracuse on Saturday, and on Sunday Craig and Shirley had room in their speeder for me, so I rode from Cortland down into Binghamton. We WENT INTO THE YARD (legally) which given the number of times I peered down into it from I-81 at 50MPH, was WICKED COOL. Ate lunch at the D&H Freight & Passenger station. The VRA are a great bunch of people, were very appreciative of my flagging (I got a round of applause), and I had a wonderful time.

(Craig: no, I don't plan to buy a speeder any time soon.)
 #581765  by cjvrr

Russ,

Glad you enjoyed the trip! I am one of the speeder trip event coordinators for the Volunteer Railroaders Association but was not on this trip due to a conflicting family function.

Our next trip (and last for the year) is coming up the weekend of October 18th and 19th. We will be running roundtrip from Riverdale to Warwick on Saturday and roundtrip from Riverdale to Little Ferry or Ridgefield Park on Sunday. We plan to turn the cars on the NYS&W turntable this year.

The ride offer still holds true, if you can flag crossings one day; you get to ride the speeders the other day. You must be over 18 and sign a release, but this is the only way for fans to legally ride the NYS&W!

If interested please email me with your contact information.

Chris Vitz
 #591451  by cjvrr

Yes,

The NYS&W Southern Division speeder trip is this weekend. On Saturday we will be running roundtrip from Riverdale to Warwick. On Sunday we will run roundtrip from Riverdale to North Bergen, and spin the cars on the NYS&W turntable which should be available. We will leave Riverdale between 8:30am and 9:00am each day with an anticopated return time around 5-6pm.

25 cars are signed up for Saturday and 24 for Sunday. Weather looks to be sunny and brisk. Good weather for keeping cool.

Chris Vitz
Volunteer Railroaders Association and NARCOA Excursion Coordinator
 #620411  by QQMoose

Every year there is a gathering of track cars at the Hobo Railroad in Lincoln, NH. Last year there was a Susquehanna rail car. It surprised me, as a former NYS&W employee, I had never seen one like it. It looked like the real thing. Unfortunately, I did not have my camera with me. Bob Miller (NYS&W 1971-1980)
 #620960  by cjvrr

Bob,

There may have been two or three there with an "S-ball". The open car noted in this thread is owned by a NYS&W employee and is home built.

The other two cars are owned by two gentleman in the Butler, NJ area. There last name starts with an "S" so they decided to use the "S-ball" logo on their cars. Both are Woodings cars. The larger of the two has had it drivetrain heavily modified. Neither were originally NYS&W cars. I believe one came from Canadian Pacific and the other was from the Department of Defense or some other US agency.

Chris