Railroad Forums 

• F45 3636 Out of Service

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#595605  by ricebrianrice

I poked around in the dark this morning, and it looks like 3636 & 3020 are no longer in Binghamton.

WIll verify tonight on the way home.
 #595967  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:saw those postings about the 3 headed to utica. Some are saying 3020 and 3636 are going to be parted out is this true king? and whats wrong with 3618?

Yes, kiss 3636 goodbye... The good news is the price of scrap metal isn't that high right now so it may linger in the weeds as a "shell" for a few years.
 #596213  by atsf sp

kingfish wrote: 3636-3020 going into the compound for storage.
Glad I saw them when I did.
 #596870  by lvrr325

Harder to get them into the shop to remove major assemblies if they're no where near the shop.

Units are in Utica as of late Thursday night, I saw them E/B at MP 263 (Onieda) behind two CSX SD40-2's with a short train (presumably it was all interchange for the NYS&W?) at 7:30 PM on the 30th.
 #597057  by kingfish

The wheels in 3618 are running to the thin side. Traction motor combos with fairly new wheel sets from 3636 will be swapped into 3618. The new wheels and new traction motors from 3020 will be applied to 3012. The donor units will receive the small wheels and good motors from 3618/3636. The latter two units are not being parted out by any means. Using the good combos from the stored units allows cost avoidance of $200k. It's called good business management practices.

Kingfish
 #597064  by kingfish

lvrr325 on Fri Oct 31, 2008 7:04 am

Harder to get them into the shop to remove major assemblies if they're no where near the shop.

BTW,
the only usable interchangable components from 3636-3020 to the overhauled 6 axles are the wheels, traction motors, fans and airbrake. The prime movers on 3636-3020 are junk, both AR10s need a basic overhaul and the switch gear does not interchange. Not worth stripping out.

Kingfish
 #597091  by Kuyahoora Valley

It'd be kinda cool to push her down on that siding (used to be Track 6 I think) where the NYC switcher is on display at Union Station and let her be kind of a static display for people to check out a little more closely....once all useful parts are scavenged off of her of course. A Susie-Q locomotive would be an appropriate item to display there. And if she was needed back at the shop would be relatively easy to retrieve.
 #597158  by Steve F45

King, very cool of you to update us all on what exactly is going on and now people just guessing and posting. It is also nice to hear that 3636 isn't beeing parted out.
 #597915  by lvrr325

Was talking to a friend of mine and said the trucks on the 3636 would probably go on the 3618 - good to see I was right on that one. He said once they're in the compound we probably won't see those units again.

The way I read that, the trucks/wheels and a few other bits are the only things any good from the 3636 anyways. The rest is either worn out or unique to that unit (or older, obsolete components).