Railroad Forums 

• One for the Doom & Gloom People

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#486052  by RichM

Without perpetuating the myth-building, the transfer facilities all along the southern division seem to be doing fine. If the C&D business comes back to the levels it enjoyed prior to the NJ DEP and sprinkler issues, it would appear that entire line is viable if for nothing else than traditional short-line/regional traffic patterns.

It also appeared to me that in the period of Mr. Rich's seriously declining health, major financial decisions were deferred, and only normal maintenance activities took place. The retirement of older power, the selling off of most of the surplus equipment, and the leasing of the -38's all seem to indicate that the future looks pretty good, no matter what the ownership structure looks like. So it makes sense the roadbed in NJ should see some upgrades, especially in those segments that have yet to receive CWR, crossing upgrades, etc.

#486087  by SecaucusJunction

Whether or not the NYSW will receive these upgrades is still in the air, but it is true that the state of NJ has set aside money for this... or the possibilty. I was under the impression that this was for the addition of passenger service on the line though and not for more through freight traffic. Unless the NYSW is taken over in some shape or form, then there is nowhere for any new traffic to come from. CSX has already stated that would no longer even run detours over the line and NS has never used the line for overflow traffic. So until something else happens, the railroad will still be running their wonderful 3 times per week trains of 40-50 cars...

#486105  by RichM

There are slightly more than three trains a week between Butler and Saddle Brook.

#486120  by blockline4180

RichM wrote:There are slightly more than three trains a week between Butler and Saddle Brook.

Yeah, but I think you mean between Sparta and points east. I'm assuming you are referring to the WS-6 local that switches the industries up to and including Sparta. But, I think I know what you meant! :-D

Happy New YEAR!!!

#486219  by RichM

I just couldn't remember if the CO2 transfill site was at Butler or Sparta!

Thanks!

#486379  by Steve F45

SecaucusJunction wrote:CSX has already stated that would no longer even run detours over the line
When was this said? So what would CSX do if they have any kind of derailment on the riverline or in upstate NY like they did in the late winter/early spring of this year?

#486462  by SecaucusJunction

Steve F45 wrote:
When was this said? So what would CSX do if they have any kind of derailment on the riverline or in upstate NY like they did in the late winter/early spring of this year?

Beats me... run over NS?

#486593  by GOLDEN-ARM

RichM wrote:There are slightly more than three trains a week between Butler and Saddle Brook.

Mods comment: Wouldn't it be easier to say "four trains per week? What exactly is "slightly more than three trains per week"? Three and a half?

#487228  by Steve F45

oh the humanity, day 2 of the new year and what do you know? No shared assets/CSX/NS takeover.

#487418  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:oh the humanity, day 2 of the new year and what do you know? No shared assets/CSX/NS takeover.

Hahaha yup! I knew in the back of my mind no drastic changes would occur!

#487617  by lvrr325

Yeah, but that doesn't mean it's not going to happen... next month.. or the month after that.. or the one after that...

By the way, if anyone wants to buy a bridge over the Hudson....

#487620  by GOLDEN-ARM

Are you sure that bridge isn't over the East River?......... :P