• Leased CSX/NS units arrive... 1800 to be retired

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

by SGLX1202

3040 and 1802 will be used for local power on the ND.

by BlockLine_4111

Today in Rochelle Park (MP 16) just before 1pm I see Norfolk Southern EMD loco #5293 running e/b and LHF with 3 high level open hoppers filled to the gills with rubbish. Is NS exercising trackage rights or is NYS&W borrowing power? :wink:

by amoreho1

BlockLine_4111 wrote:Today in Rochelle Park (MP 16) just before 1pm I see Norfolk Southern EMD loco #5293 running e/b and LHF with 3 high level open hoppers filled to the gills with rubbish. Is NS exercising trackage rights or is NYS&W borrowing power? :wink:
yes the power is on loan from ns

by BlockLine_4111

Today on the "Q"'s power pad at CP5 were the following EMD locos:
pair of b&w NS (back to back), one CSX, and one CR blue & white. :-D

by oknazevad

pair of b&w NS (back to back), one CSX, and one CR blue & white. Very Happy
What's even funnier, if you look at the CR blue & white, is that it has a PRR reporting mark on it.

Ah, the legal vagarities of the Conrail split!

by kingfish

The CSX and NS power is on lease not loaned. NYSW pays real money for the locomotives.

by ricebrianrice

The Conrail/PRR Unit led the SY-1 into Binghamton this morning. I thought I was seeing things with the PRR under the window, guess not!!!

by lvrr325

I don't know where you guys have been, but all CR power that went to NS got PRR sublettering, just like CR freight cars to CSX got NYC reporting marks. Some units got it in plain lettering, others someone found or made a stencil in the same style lettering as used in the PRR keystone logo, which was a nice touch.

by scottychaos

oknazevad wrote:
What's even funnier, if you look at the CR blue & white, is that it has a PRR reporting mark on it.

why is the first thing funny..and why is it even funnier about the PRR?
im not seeing the humor in either..
what did I miss?

all ex-Conrail locos on NS have been marked PRR since 1999..

Scot

by GOLDEN-ARM

They shoulda got LV on the NS, and CNJ on the CSXT equipment. THAT woulda been real classy......... :-D

by washingtonsecondary

oknazevad wrote:

There were no legal vagarities to the Conrail split. Just because you do not understand them doesn't mean there were any nefarious legal doings. Now I know mixing cement is a complicated job, but try to follow along here. At the time of the split, as I understand it, CSX and NS formed holding companies named PRR (NS) and NYC (CSX) these reflected the territory that the two roughly split. These companies actually own Conrail, and lease the equipment to their respective parent companies. This was done to prevent aquisition taxes by offically breaking up and merging the pieces into CSX and NS. Now before you say Aha!!! see there is the wrong doing, CSX and NS didn't make the tax law or its loop hole, so don't blame them.

by Noel Weaver

In the previous remarks by "Washington Secondary" which follow:

In my weeks of self imposed exile I learned 2 things:
1. In the hierarchy of geeks, railfans tower above entertainment-industry sycophants of the Star Trek trope
2. The railroad, unlike professional sports, can and will continue without its fans.

These are two of the most TRUTHFUL statements that I have EVER read
on here.
Noel Weaver

by oknazevad

scottychaos wrote:
why is the first thing funny..and why is it even funnier about the PRR?
im not seeing the humor in either..
what did I miss?
I don't know, I just think its kinda funny, in an ironic way, that a loco sporting the reporting mark of the might Pennsy is currently working our friendly neighborhood Susie-Q. Maybe its just me.

washington secondary wrote:
There were no legal vagarities to the Conrail split. Just because you do not understand them doesn't mean there were any nefarious legal doings. Now I know mixing cement is a complicated job, but try to follow along here. At the time of the split, as I understand it, CSX and NS formed holding companies named PRR (NS) and NYC (CSX) these reflected the territory that the two roughly split. These companies actually own Conrail, and lease the equipment to their respective parent companies. This was done to prevent aquisition taxes by offically breaking up and merging the pieces into CSX and NS. Now before you say Aha!!! see there is the wrong doing, CSX and NS didn't make the tax law or its loop hole, so don't blame them.
Oh I understand the details of the split just fine. (I teach physics for a living, I can definitely understand a corporate acquisition.) And I never said there was anything unbecoming about the deal. I just find the layered nature of it silly. But then again that's why I'm not in corporate finance. "Vagarities," might have been a poor word choice thought

by washingtonsecondary

Yes, yes on the internet we all teach physics, drive Porche's, date supermodels, were 4 star generals, and know 6 forms of Martial Arts and make $500,000,000,000,000. But that is an argument for another forum and another day.

by charlie6017

All right folks, can we please start heading back onto topic?

Thanks,
Charlie