Railroad Forums 

• current NYSW customers

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#470465  by Bergenrails

Just cuious as to the biggest NYSW customer presently..and a list of northern/southern division consignees..along with CNYRR ones?
thanks

#470652  by SemperFidelis

Well, we're not the biggest, but Marcal Paper is certainly a customer of note in Elmwood Park, NJ.

#470712  by ricebrianrice

That's a pretty tall order there buddy. All the customers?

I know they deliver to the Asphalt plant in Binghamton, and to Suit Kot in Cortland.

But the biggest business has to be Construction and demolition debris.

#470824  by ANDY117

They deliver to Suit-Kote, Frito-Lay, American Pipe and Plastic, The asphalt plant (Broome Bituminous?) receives crushed stone, and ships out dust, and they also interchange cars to the NS and CP. That's what I know about here on the north end.

#470944  by SGLX1202

The garbage facility on 4th ave in paterson gets 2 switches daily 3 cars each. Sparta gets a decent switch at BOC and a lot of sugar cars. From what i hear the customer dealing in soy beans that gets covered hoppers is going to be picking up as well. Cardella and 94th St. both garbage facilities, are currently closed.

#470946  by Steve F45

SGLX1202 wrote:The garbage facility on 4th ave in paterson gets 2 switches daily 3 cars each. Sparta gets a decent switch at BOC and a lot of sugar cars. From what i hear the customer dealing in soy beans that gets covered hoppers is going to be picking up as well. Cardella and 94th St. both garbage facilities, are currently closed.
The north bergen c&d are closed again? what now?

#471582  by blockline4180

Steve F45 wrote:
SGLX1202 wrote:The garbage facility on 4th ave in paterson gets 2 switches daily 3 cars each. Sparta gets a decent switch at BOC and a lot of sugar cars. From what i hear the customer dealing in soy beans that gets covered hoppers is going to be picking up as well. Cardella and 94th St. both garbage facilities, are currently closed.

They probably never opened. Did they ever get those sprinklers installed???

#471588  by trainwayne1

While Marcal may not be the "biggest" shipper, I would guess that because they are under chapter 11 they're the fastest (important to cash flow) paying customer, since all payments are guarenteed by the courts. That doesn't take into consideration the monies that Marcal may have owed the railroad when they filed for bankruptcy which may be paid pennies on the dollar, depending on how the situation is resolved in the courts. I'm sure that the C&D customers are a good thing for the railroad too, since that industry keeps it's customers on a short leash credit wise......you don't pay and the garbage doesn't get picked up!
The railroad seems to have a diverse customer base, and doesn't put all it's eggs in one basket, which is usually a good thing whereas if one portion of business slows down, the others take up the slack or at least help to maintain a steady income flow.

#471802  by Steve F45

blockline4180 wrote:
Steve F45 wrote:

They probably never opened. Did they ever get those sprinklers installed???
yea they had been reopened at the end of summer i believe. Unless something else has happened over the last month or so they were open for business.

#472320  by SemperFidelis

Good point about Marcal and our financial straits...

The owners are reputed to be pretty big railfans themselves.

#472327  by trainwayne1

"The owners are reputed to be pretty big railfans"

Actually, the senior owner of Marcal was on the board of directors of Delaware Ostego Corp. before it was sold to NS & CSX......I met him once at a stockholders meeting in Cooperstown, and he had a very pro-railroad stance. It's not uncommon for executives of large shippers/customers of the railroads to be named to the board of directors. It's kind of a "You wash my hand and I'll wash yours" situation that for many years was a part of the "Old Boys Club" that prevailed in business.

#472384  by SemperFidelis

I had heard that one of the owners was on the board of directors, but never recieved any confirmation as to whether or not that was true.

To the original question, I know that a propane company receives tank cars somewhere around Sparta.