Railroad Forums 

• NYSW RS1s in Edgewater in 1980

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#457992  by erielackawanna

On January 8, 1980, I found two NYSW RS1s switching Edgewater Yard. Does anyone know what the symbol of this train would have been?

Here's the entire train.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 316&nseq=3

Here's a close up of 238.

http://freericks.rrpicturearchives.net/ ... ?id=921837

And here's 252.

http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 319&nseq=0

Any corrections are appreciated. I hope you enjoy.

#458020  by riffian

Most likely LF-1

#458081  by erielackawanna

Thanks!

#458319  by washingtonsecondary

riffian wrote:Most likely LF-1
Could it have been a WS job? I know WS is an old symbol on the NYS&W, used today and back in the RS-1 days? Or were they only used on points west of Little Ferry?

#458478  by Steve F45

Awesome shots. I've always been facinated by the old edgewater branch once I found out about the old tunnel. Its amazing how much has changed, that old blue building in teh background of 1 of those pics is still there today.

#458481  by Milepost 12

Great classic pictures ! Those were the days :-)

#459123  by erielackawanna

Thanks for the comments.

This had been one of those shots that I intended to get for years (would have my mom drive me down there in the mid 1970s), but never managed to get until the day I shot these frames. The very next day (or maybe the day after), I saw this move again and shot it some more. After that, I never ran across it again.

#459221  by BlockLine_4111

I'd like to see some shots of these classical Alcos in Lodi, Garfield, and Dundee. Any leads or links anyone? :wink:

#459331  by Steve F45

me too, i'de love to see anything from the lodi branch from way back when and of the garfield branch. i have seen a pic of the gp18's by a paper plant in passaic.

#459365  by Milepost 12

Next time I go down to my mom's in Bayville. I will check in the boxes of old photos she has. I am sure a couple of my old photos of the Garfield branch have to be floating around in there.

I took some with my old Kodak 126 back in the mid 1970's down by the Garwood Courts, Garfield Lumber & Stull Engraving. My childhood friend lived on Garwood Ct. S. and we use to take pics once in a while. His uncle owned Garfield Lumber so we use to go hang out there for the drills. They might not be the best taken by an 11 year old but they will be something.

I know she has one of my grandfather standing by the bulldozer that pushed the coal into the shaft at the Forstmann's Powerplant and in the background was a RS-1 with the maroon strips (you can tell even if it is in B&W) with a CNJ hopper. I will take it and scan it, the RS-1 was more visible in the pic than my grandfather LOL

Mark

#459641  by erielackawanna

Steve F45 wrote:me too, i'de love to see anything from the lodi branch from way back when and of the garfield branch. i have seen a pic of the gp18's by a paper plant in passaic.
I'm scanning in the wrong direction at the moment, but when I finally get to my 1978 (I think) slides, I got GP18s on the Lodi branch a couple of times. My one time shooting them crosisng Route 17 however resulted in some obstructed, underexposed, over-shadowed shots that are worthless.

Slightly OT, but does anyone have any pictures of that Model's in the parking lot that the Lodi Branch rand behind?

#466359  by NaDspr

Both the 238 and 252 were still around in the late 1980s. The 252 had the honors of bringing the last train out of Richfield Springs, NY before the line was cut back to run between East Winfield, NY and Richfield Jct, NY.

I worked as conductor on the train that moved 238 from the Milford, NY enginehouse (on the Cooperstown & Charlotte Valley line) to the D&H interchange at Cooperstown Jct, NY. 238 was off to the scrapper at that point. Seems like the interior of the cab had a wainescoated ceiling and was painted a light green color.... like a real faded Penn Central green.

#466739  by erielackawanna

Wow, great to know what happened to them. Thanks so much for the info.