Railroad Forums 

• What is the Future of the NYS&W

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#436514  by roadster

Rumor mills are going wild so I'm asking for some hard info. on the current and potential future of the NYS&W. Who currently owns and operates the NYS&W n( CEO?). Is there any truth about the NYS&W becoming part of the Conrail Shared Assets? Thank you for the anticipated assistance.

#436553  by Otto Vondrak

I don't think anyone can predict the future, aside from guesses.

If any transaction is to take place involving the NYSW, we'll see public filings soon enough. No change in ownerhship, however the railroad did name a new CEO to take Mr. Rich's place. If CSAO is supposed to take over NYSW, we haven't heard anything from Conrail about that...

-otto-

#436577  by lvrr325

CSAO is pretty unlikely to take over the entire road, but if the road is broken up as has been rumored, they'd be a good bet for some if not all of the original NJ lines. We kind of went through this discussion in a locked thread a few posts down; apparently Walter Rich owned around 80% of the road's stock, so it seems some sort of disposition will come, but it all depends on what arrangements were made before he died, what the will states, and what liabilities there were against those assetts.

CSAO has apparently been performing some of the operations of the road since Walter became ill, that is where those rumors are coming from.

#436594  by wolfboy8171981

lvrr325 wrote:CSAO is pretty unlikely to take over the entire road, but if the road is broken up as has been rumored, they'd be a good bet for some if not all of the original NJ lines. We kind of went through this discussion in a locked thread a few posts down; apparently Walter Rich owned around 80% of the road's stock, so it seems some sort of disposition will come, but it all depends on what arrangements were made before he died, what the will states, and what liabilities there were against those assetts.

CSAO has apparently been performing some of the operations of the road since Walter became ill, that is where those rumors are coming from.
Conrail has nothing to do with the NYSW. Conrail has not been perfroming any functions on the NYSW on behalf of its Owners NS and CSX

#436598  by Otto Vondrak

Please provide the source for that statement. Let's not post rumors as fact. We didn't ask for anyone's guess as to when the railroad may be broken up, etc.

-otto-

#436662  by lvrr325

Well, there was a thread on this board where someone had a heart attack a few weeks ago because a Conrail hirail truck was seen on the NYS&W. So I asked a few people why that would be, and that's what I was told. Your source is this very board. My other source will remain confidential until such time as he wants to post on here himself.

You will also note the use of the word "apparently" - does anyone remember what that means, or should I post a link to Webster's Dictionary?

I don't know what kind of forum this is if you can't even post something and let it stand to be corrected if needed. Until you look outside to see for yourself, saying the sky is blue, is still just a rumor. You could just as easily ask the other poster for his source that CSAO is not performing any type of operational work for the NYS&W, I don't see them posting any sources for that. Yet here is this poster claiming a CR Hirailer on the NYS&W - and not an old used one someone forgot to repaint, but a brand new one at that.

#436695  by GOLDEN-ARM

I will define what kind of forum, the NYS&W forum is, here. It's a place where we can come together, and share Facts, used in the furtherance of gaining knowledge into the past, present and hopefully future of the "Q". Rumors, guesses and lies do nothing towards that end. There are, however, several other "foamer" sites, packed with rampant rumors, absurd and wild speculations, dubious unverifiable "facts", and endless flame wars. Feel free to choose where you want to get your info from. I know where I get mine...... :wink:

#436722  by washingtonsecondary

lvrr325 wrote:Well, there was a thread on this board where someone had a heart attack a few weeks ago because a Conrail hirail truck was seen on the NYS&W. So I asked a few people why that would be, and that's what I was told. Your source is this very board. My other source will remain confidential until such time as he wants to post on here himself.

You will also note the use of the word "apparently" - does anyone remember what that means, or should I post a link to Webster's Dictionary?

I don't know what kind of forum this is if you can't even post something and let it stand to be corrected if needed. Until you look outside to see for yourself, saying the sky is blue, is still just a rumor. You could just as easily ask the other poster for his source that CSAO is not performing any type of operational work for the NYS&W, I don't see them posting any sources for that. Yet here is this poster claiming a CR Hirailer on the NYS&W - and not an old used one someone forgot to repaint, but a brand new one at that.
The poster who originally made claims of a CR high railer is a panicky pete who likes to find ANYTHING and EVERYTHING wrong in railroading so he can jump out from behind a tree and yell "aha!! I told you they should have done it my way!" and has ZERO experiance in railroading. In other words, he is a railfan, just like most of us.

#436796  by ricebrianrice

You know what I find funny:

We all think we know what is going on, and we don't!

The people who do know what is going on, (the BOD of NYS&W) are not going to tell us!

So we all know nothing :(

Everything will be clear in time, that is all we know.

#436835  by Otto Vondrak

Your source is this very board. My other source will remain confidential until such time as he wants to post on here himself.
Citing another rumor as your source isn't exactly what I call verifiable. And unless your other source is an officer of the company, I would dismiss anything you hear regarding the "future" of the NYS&W. While railroaders and railfans may speculate, it's the Board of Directors who make the decisions.

-otto-

#436852  by washingtonsecondary

ricebrianrice wrote:You know what I find funny:

We all think we know what is going on, and we don't!
Sounds like a good definition of a railfan to me.
Otto Vondrak wrote:
Citing another rumor as your source isn't exactly what I call verifiable.
-otto-
Quick, someone better tell that to Wikipedia.. LOL.

#436871  by RichM

In the previous thread, the queston of financing and ownership was discussed.

While I concede that the ownership percentages have changed, it appears to be impossible from public documents to determine if in fact CSX and NS are holding debt in return for the sale of their shares, and whether this structural ownership was held by Mr. Rich directly or by a group of limited partners.

Volume seems to be good on the NJ side of the operation, and as I think Dub mentioned, there's an expecation that the construction demolition materials buisness will pick up again. Marketing the terminal/transfilling operations seems to be going well.

I guess we wait and see what's next.

#437000  by cjvrr

One item that is not open to rumor and has been posted elsewhere;

Nathan Fenno, long time legal guru at the NYS&W (20 years?) assumed the leadership role back in February. I do not know if his title is still "Acting" or if he has been fully approved in that new role. No official notice has been made by the NYS&W.

I will tell you that from personal dealings the Volunteer Railroaders Association has had since February with the Mr. Fenno, his responses have come very quickly to our requests.

Perhaps his ability to push items off center can be seen in the following happening over the last few months;

1) A new labor contract has been settled after many years.
2) Garbage transfer facilities were totally shut down for sprinkler installations.
3) ALCOs have been sold off.
4) Final agreement reached for a rail WITH trail along the Greenwood Lake Branch in Pequannock and Wayne Township after nearly 5 years of discussions.
5) E-9s were sold off.

#437161  by roadster

Thank you all for your input. From what I've read. I believe it is safe to say at this time the NYS&W is being operated by an appointie of Walters. And no significant change has been, or is currently apparent. The CSAO question has been answered and I can pass that along.

#437170  by Sid Farkus

Will the Pompton Industrial be used again? Will the Lodi branch be used too?