Railroad Forums 

• Status of NYOW (NYSW) #116??

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#431969  by ricebrianrice

Here is a bad thought:
What will happen to NYO&W #116 "if" Mr. Rich passes on, and the NYS&W is sold/transfered, to a new owner?

Also, Was it ever converted to roller bearings?

I can't see, NS or CSX wanting anything to do with it, and it would be a shame to see it go to the scrap pile.

#431973  by Steamtown Observer

NYOW 116 is not owned by the railroad, it is privately owned and leased to the NYS&W. Since the owner bought it specifically because of its heritage, I think it is safe to save it will be preserved. The big question will be where - I can think of several groups/locations that would make sense.

#431983  by ricebrianrice

Well that is good to know. I hope it finds a good home when the time comes.
 #432464  by n01jd1

ricebrianrice wrote:Here is a bad thought:
What will happen to NYO&W #116 "if" Mr. Rich passes on, and the NYS&W is sold/transfered, to a new owner?

Also, Was it ever converted to roller bearings?

I can't see, NS or CSX wanting anything to do with it, and it would be a shame to see it go to the scrap pile.
The 116 does have roller bearings. It was most likely converted to roller bearings by Conrail.

#438990  by rcbsd45

While it does have roller bearings, it does NOT have ditch lights. its exempt having been built prior to 1948, per FRA regs. It also has its original brake schedule, # 6BL, i believe. It was last seen at Armory Square in Syracuse last week.

#443889  by Steamtown Observer

I understand that the 116 will be part of Walter Rich's Franklin Railroad museum.

#444147  by ricebrianrice

I asked the person who is restoring Car # 30, and here is his answer to #116 being in Franklin.

"Hi Brian:
All I can say is that it was discussed early on and dismissed. It just
won't fit.
I have not heard anything lately.
Where did you read the rumor?

Sincerely,
Bill Rigby"

#444294  by Steamtown Observer

My source is from within the NYS&W. There was a question about doing some repairs and they were only going to do some minor stuff and the reason give was that it was going to Franklin. If it isn't true it is what the Northern Division NYS&W people were led to believe.

#465670  by NaDspr

The 116 was owned by Adelbert Button, retired chairman of the I.L. Richer grain company. Del was a very interesting man and had a soft spot in his heart for the O&W, just like Walt Rich. The 116 was leased to the NYS&W by Del. Once Del passed away, I'm not sure of the ownership path.