Railroad Forums 

• mile posts

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#424057  by amoreho1

has there been mile post renumbering or something because over the
scanner I hear "New York Susquehanna and Western Railway mile post 238"
when the train passes over the hot box (defect detector)

but on this map it says Homer is 237
http://www.282movies.com/images/NYS&WMap.pdf

#424438  by GOLDEN-ARM

Like most towns, Homer is probably only a few feet long, and certainly couldn't cover an area as vast, and expansive, as 9.5 miles......... :P

#427063  by NYSW3614

Hey, easy on Homer, its my hometown! Its bigger then a lot of other towns in the area. The detector is located just north of Hooker Ave, which is MPS 238.20. Just is 238 for whatever reason. There was a detector on the Utica side, which I believe was MPU238, so maybe if they reused the little guy in the box they used the same script for 'em.

#465668  by NaDspr

The detector on the Utica side announced MP 228. It was located just north of the Haynes Rd. crossing south of Norwich. Guess it's been silent for almost a year and a half now, since the washouts. Too bad.