Railroad Forums 

• Utica Shop Notes: Closing 12/15/07

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#429779  by ANDY117

Didn't Al Whalen just post that it wasn't sold, and they were still working on a number of units there?

#429945  by thebigham

NYS&W Yahoo Group:

The train was made up today in Utica yard consisting of following from
west to east. 3634E, 1802E, 3020E (all running), NYSW 3660, 77, 3674
and two ex Amtrak 1400 series mail handling cars(Alco parts???). CSX
had not sent a crew to pick it up by 1800 hrs so NYSW engines shut
down, maybe tomorrow. NYSW is NOT clearing out of engine house, the
3042 is still being worked on as well as the four B23-7s. Some of the
Binghamton OOS locomotives should be coming to Utica eventually. The
Centro Bus thing is a possiable long term use of the site with no
funding presently.

Al Gorney

#429957  by Otto Vondrak

"I have never understood the need to stay "on topic."

Have questions about the operation of this website? Contact the moderator or myself OFF LIST. The moderator asked nicely if we can keep the conversation limited to the topic at hand- Utica Shops. If you want to discuss another topic, please start a new thread or find an existing thread where that topic is already being discussed. Of course discussions between people will tend to stray... as long as we get back to topic, it's not a problem.

Thank you!

-otto-

#430342  by Otto Vondrak

Here is what I have read on two of the NYSW Yahoo Groups (I dont know how reliable the information is, but here it is):

- Part of Utica Shops has been sold, and will be used as a paint shop for Centro (the transit authority in Syracuse/Utica area) busses. NYSW operations will continue at Utica Shops, albeit scaled back to a smaller building.

- Repair work will also shift to Binghamton enginehouse facility.

- Heavy repair and rebuilds will most likely be contracted out, such as we have seen with movements to AMP in Dansville.

That's all for now.

-otto-

#430676  by roadster

Note: the President of Centro has advised that Centro "HAS NOT" purchased the Utica shops. The shops were toured, but no further action towards purchasing the structure has taken place, and at this time there is no further interest by Centro in this structure. He further stated that, Rumors about Centro purchasing said building are "false". The gentleman is a railfan and has heard about this thread and altho not a member wished to disspell any incorrect information.

#430691  by rcbsd45

Well, to throw my two cents in..... I posted(as did a few others) on the yahoo groups info regarding the possible sale of the Utica shop. All the paperwork storted there has been moved to Cooperstown. The office functions handled there are being moved out of the present building. the CENTRO story has a few roots. Part of the story comes from several employees, and two of which have direct access to the higher ups in Cooperstown on a fairly regular basis. One of the NYS&W's top managers has a seat on the board of directors of CENTRO(conflict of interest?) and has said nothing to deny the story. The story goes that CENTRO was looking to expand operations into Utica and run things there much like they do in Syracuse. Hence the need for a facility. A check with my internal contacts confirmed CENTRO's interest and the deal with the railroad. I have no reason now, nor have I in the past to doubt the veracity of my contacts. maybe someone was planting a seed with them.... who knows.... But, it also seems that if such a deal were made it would not be announced in a railfan forum, but in the proper time and place for CENTRO and the NYSW. so until THAT announcement is made, lets just take it with a grain of salt. All mechanical work has ceased at the Shop for now, a detailed parts inventory has been conducted, and locomotives that would normally be serviced/repaired there are to be moved to Syracuse. Something is up and we just haven't heard anything offical yet.

#430812  by roadster

I was asked to forward the info. stated in my previous post by the gentleman mentioned. I have no interest on the subject matter beyond that. As far as crediblity of sources? It's all rumors untill the Official announcements. Anyones guess.

#430831  by Otto Vondrak

If I were to draw any conclusions from the above, I think it is safe to say that Utica's role in NYSW is going to be greatly diminished.

#431906  by RailBus63

As background info - Centro took over the transit agencies in Utica and Rome in 2005 and continues to operate each system from the two original garages. They are seeking to replace those two outdated facilities with a single modern maintenance facility, presumably in Utica since the Rome system is so small.

The NYSW facility doesn't make sense to me due to its location - I would expect Centro to seek a site with good highway access to reduce the deadhead time and/or mileage for the Rome buses.

Jim

#432139  by lvrr325

The NYS&W shop is only a block or two from the arterial connector (Route 5/8/12 combined) which makes easy access to the NYS Thruway and Route 49 to go to Rome. Sayng the location makes no sense due to it's location would imply you've never driven in that area. A bus need only come up to 5S and could be in Rome in around 15 minutes, could even be in Syracuse in an hour or so. The shop area is about two blocks from 5S.

I personally think people are seeing actions associated with preparation for the disposition of the property and confusing it with the property itself changing hands. It seems to me they're just being prepared for the inevitable; as old as Mr. Rich is and if he's not getting better the picture isn't too bright.

But in the meanwhile all it takes is one non-NYS&W hirailer to show up and the rumors fly; I'm expecting that if a UP hirailer showed up, you'd see posts that now the Union Pacific is buying the railroad. Centro tours the shop, now they're buying the shops. If I had nothing to do sometime this week, I'd put some phony NASA logos on the side of my truck and park it in front of the shop all day just to see what I could read on the internet that night.

#432298  by RailBus63

lvrr325 wrote:The NYS&W shop is only a block or two from the arterial connector (Route 5/8/12 combined) which makes easy access to the NYS Thruway and Route 49 to go to Rome. Sayng the location makes no sense due to it's location would imply you've never driven in that area. A bus need only come up to 5S and could be in Rome in around 15 minutes, could even be in Syracuse in an hour or so. The shop area is about two blocks from 5S.
My mistake - I have driven in the area but was under the impression that the shop was further away from the arterial road.

#446994  by thebigham

Posted at LocoNotes:

Susquehanna's isolated Utica side looks more like the Providence & Worcester operation.

Five units in P&W paint are in the Utica shop or on the Utica branch.

Units B23-7 2213 and U23B NYSW 2304 (P&W 2207) are running local
UT-1 between Utica and Sherburne.

B23-7s P&W 2201, 2212 and NYSW 2300 (P&W 2214) are in shop undergoing repairs.

The P&W 2201 is going back to the P&W. The 2212 and 2213 are going to the Finger Lakes Railroad.

NYSW GP40 3042 is at shop awaiting truck repairs.

Al Gorney

#447067  by kingfish

Too many rumours flying around about NYSW, Utica Shops and what not.

Did anyone consider talking directly with the railroad?

Kingfish

#448326  by JoeCollege

kingfish wrote:Too many rumours flying around about NYSW, Utica Shops and what not.

Kingfish
Great point.

No doubt, there are people in Utica just waiting by the phones to answer business related questions from us anonymous or even well known train geeks!

If anything happens, we'll read it here or in the press. But I don't think we'll hear it on the phone or see the answers in our in boxes![/i]

#448327  by JoeCollege

kingfish wrote:Too many rumours flying around about NYSW, Utica Shops and what not.

Kingfish
Great point.

No doubt, there are people in Utica just waiting by the phones to answer business related questions from us anonymous or even well known train geeks!
:wink:

If anything happens, we'll read it here or in the press. But I don't think we'll hear it on the phone or see the answers in our in boxes! \