Railroad Forums 

• Former NYS&W Engineer & BLE President Passes Away at

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#406327  by rcbsd45

CLEVELAND, May 31 — John Frederick Sytsma, former International President of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers, passed away on May 29, 2007 of natural causes.

A beloved husband, father and grandfather, Sytsma was known as a witty and generous man who was well loved by family and friends.

“John was one of the great Brotherhood leaders who helped shape the organization that we know today,” said Don Hahs, National President of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers and Trainmen (BLET). “His wisdom, experience and knowledge will be sorely missed. I extend deepest sympathies to his family and friends on behalf of the 55,000 men and women of the BLET.”

Born in Paterson, N.J., on July 22, 1921, to Frederick John and Alice Hutchinson Sytsma, he married his high school sweetheart, Phyllis June Stingle, in 1942. They were married for over 60 years until her death in 2004.

As a member of "The Greatest Generation" John served his country during World War II, in the U.S. Army, in the Philippines. During World War II, he ran engines in the Phillipines and Korea s a member of an Army Railway Operating Battalion.

During the Depression, John secured his first railroad job at age 19 as a fireman for the New York, Susquehanna & Western Railroad. Working his way up to engineer in 1946, he became a member of the Brotherhood of Locomotive Engineers Division 521 (Hawthorne, N.J.) in 1954. He ran an engine in every class of service on the Susquehanna and in 1955 was elected General Chairman for the engineers on that property.

In 1956, he and his family moved to Cleveland, Ohio, where he became office administrator and chief clerk at the BLE headquarters. He was elected to the post of General Secretary-Treasurer at the BLE’s 14th Triennial Convention in 1962. He held the office of General Secretary-Treasurer from 1962 to 1974 and First Vice President from 1974 to 1976. He was elected President by acclamation in 1976, a post he held for 10 years. He retired in 1986.

During his 10-year tenure as President, he was concerned not only with improving the wages and working conditions of engine service employees in the U.S. and Canada. He was also a leader in developing and promoting workable programs to combat drug and alcohol abuse among rail employees; in opposing random breathalyzer tests and “sniffer dog” searches of employees, and in efforts before Congress and federal agencies to improve safety standards for rail operations.

After retirement, John and Phyllis moved to Salt Lake City, in order to be near family. John formed a close relationship with his grandson Mark Lubbers. The two of them enjoyed many adventures together and were always best "pals." During this time, John was able to indulge a long time interest in firefighters and fire engines.

An excellent photographer, he became official volunteer photographer for the Salt Lake County Fire Department. Over the course of his service with the department, he took over 20,000 pictures of fires and apparatus. He continued in this role until macular degeneration robbed him of his sight.

He is survived by his sister Carol Beun and two daughters, Jacqueline (Floyd) Pruitt of Dunwoody, Georgia; and Ruth (Bruce) Lubbers of Salt Lake City. His four grandchildren are Mark Lubbers of Salt Lake City; Sarah (Phillip) Torrence of Kalamazoo, Michigan; Jonathan (Jenny) Pruitt of Silver Creek, Georgia; and Joshua Pruitt of Atlanta, Georgia. John also has three great-grandchildren: John Mark, Gracie Claire and Benjamin Bruce Torrence of Kalamazoo, Michigan.

#406340  by Noel Weaver

John Sytsma was a fine gentleman, I met him in Cleveland in 1981 at the
BLE convention when I represented then division 589 as its delegate. It
was quite an experience to say the least. He was involved in the top
leadership of the BLE for quite a few years.
Noel Weaver

#406778  by jmp883

I wasn't aware that John was originally from NJ or that he was a railroader. I only knew John from his fire apparatus photography but it can be said that he was truly the best fire apparatus photographer/historian there ever was, or ever will be.

My thoughts and prayers are with his family.