Railroad Forums 

• Two Little Ferry Questions

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#370764  by thebigham

Hi.

I've been fooling around with Google Earth and the SusieQ.

1. Is the LF enginehouse still standing? Is the turntable still there?

2. How far is the track in place going towards the Edgewater tunnel?

Thanks,

Chris

#370784  by washingtonsecondary

Engine house is gone, but the table is still there, and works.

Not sure about the Edgewater question.

#370919  by Steve F45

track goes pretty much right to the opening of the tunnel on the fairview side.

hi

#371102  by thebigham

Thanks!

#371114  by BlockLine_4111

Did Edgewater once serve as "home base" for the "Q" (as opposed to Little Ferry) perhaps even with fueling pad, turntable, and engine houses?

#371128  by JayDee

Little Ferry preceded Edgewater by a few years, and was always the main east-end engine and freight terminal. In Edgewater’s earliest days there was, I believe, a turntable near the Old River Road overpass along with a water tower, etc. all meant for the various switch engines being used, but none of this lasted past the ‘40’s, if that long.

#371432  by BlockLine_4111

For some reason I thought Edgewater was significant up through the mid-70s on the RR.

Was the Edgewater trackage ever signalized?

#371925  by JayDee

Edgewater was definitely a significant terminal for the railroad. The Ford plant was, in it’s heyday, one of the largest in the US. They made the Model A there, and that was a huge seller in the 30’s. Lever Brothers, Alcoa, all were big shippers at one time, not to mention the coal traffic up until WWII. Even after that you had SeaTrain for a while. Operating under yard-limits however, it just probably didn’t warrant extensive signaling on the order of the CTC they had between Jersey City and Little Ferry.

The Edgewater Branch was originally double-tracked, but sometime in the late 1920’s was singletracked, at least through the tunnel. Timetables after that had a “Positive block signals at each end of Edgewater Tunnel will govern normal direction of traffic through tunnel” entry in them. It doesn’t seem as if this was much more than a light at each entrance to the tunnel that would come on as a train made it’s entry into the bore.

Thing is though, I kind of remember, back around 1968 or so, that there was a signal of some sort, right around where the Edgewater branch goes over the Riverline, on top of the embankment. I think that it was facing east. Perhaps it was used to control entry of westbound trains into Little Ferry yard. I’m pretty fuzzy on this though since I was only around 12 at the time.

By the way, in the “History of the New York Susquehanna and Western” by Walter Lucas, there is a picture, dated 1894 the year when Edgewater yard was officially opened, that clearly shows a turntable, water tower and 5 – 6 stall roundhouse. In a later 1921 shot the turntable and roundhouse look to be gone, so whatever facilities they did have there weren’t used very long.

#371953  by Steve F45

it still amazes me when i see pics of edgwater up untill the early 80s i think it was when tracks were still inplace out of the tunnel and then what it looks like today. you'de never know that tracks ran right down where the new river road is today.