Railroad Forums 

• Radio on the NYS&W

• Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.
Discussion related to New York, Susquehanna & Western operations past and present. Also includes some discussion related to Deleware Otsego owned and operated shortlines. Official web site can be found here: NYSW.COM.

Moderators: GOLDEN-ARM, NJ Vike

#1246440  by Snowmojoe

Maybe us regular folks aren't really supposed to know this, but the on-board radios that the NYSW uses - do they use regular CB radio bands, or are they more like police radio where you need a special kind of radio/scanner to be able to hear them?

I don't know much about 2-way radio (probably quite obvious) but I see some people talking about knowing when trains are coming from listening to their scanner and I'm curious how you guys worked that out.
 #1246799  by DutchRailnut

the radio's are VHF low band and all railroad voice communications are in 160 000 to 161 990 range , they van be received with a scanner.
 #1246936  by cjvrr

I would also suggest a simple scanner. No need for a two way radio as you won't and shouldn't be talking to train crews on their frequency.

Just note that NY State has some rules about portable scanner use in a vehicle.
 #1247808  by Snowmojoe

Just to clarify, I had no interest in interloping - merely mildly interested in being able to know when trains will be going by (like probably everyone else). Thanks a lot for the input.
 #1248305  by lvrr325

NYS&W trains generally run Form D, or at least they did, with so few trains they may only talk to the dispatcher once or twice and then all you might catch is when they're switching someplace.