Railroad Forums 

• NS West Slope/Pittsburgh Main Questions: Please Help

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #806901  by EastMassParanormal

Hey guys and gals out there. Recently I've been listening to the radio feed of the Norfolk Southern West Slope between Gallitzin and South Fork. While listening there are a few terms that the dispatchers will use while giving track warrants. For example a dispatcher might say "Your clear J.K. to S.O."(or something like that) The other ones I hear a lot are "M.O." or "Y.D." I was just wondering what these two letter abbreviations stood for. One other thing that stands out is the dispatcher might say, "Work between M.O. and M.O." what kind of work are they referring to?

Another thing the dispatcher will go over while giving track authority are boxes. They will say something like, "Two boxes checked thirteen and twelve" for example. I would just like a simple explanation of what these checked boxes are all about.

Any light that can be shed here is much appreciated.
 #826787  by jgallaway81

EastMassParanormal wrote:Hey guys and gals out there. Recently I've been listening to the radio feed of the Norfolk Southern West Slope between Gallitzin and South Fork. While listening there are a few terms that the dispatchers will use while giving track warrants. For example a dispatcher might say "Your clear J.K. to S.O."(or something like that) The other ones I hear a lot are "M.O." or "Y.D." I was just wondering what these two letter abbreviations stood for. One other thing that stands out is the dispatcher might say, "Work between M.O. and M.O." what kind of work are they referring to?

Another thing the dispatcher will go over while giving track authority are boxes. They will say something like, "Two boxes checked thirteen and twelve" for example. I would just like a simple explanation of what these checked boxes are all about.

Any light that can be shed here is much appreciated.

MO: CP-MO - Controlled Point, "MO" Interlocking - controls the crossovers, entrance to the Cresson Enginehouse, and the Irvona Secondary
SO: CP-SO - Controlled Point, "SO" Interlocking - controls the crossovers, and the west entrance to South Fork yard & the South Fork Secondary
YD: A reference to a location, in this case, called YD, located at the signal coming out of the Cresson Enginehouse.

Work between (anyplace and anyplace) If the "anyplace"s are the same, they are referring to the distance between opposing home signals: Work Between MO & MO means to occupy the space within MO interlocking, or CP-MO. If the "anyplace"s are different, it is referring to the space between interlockings or station names. Work between MO and SO means to occupy the space from CP-MO to CP-SO.

This work can be a signal maintainer checking the signal system, a track inspector occupying the line in a track car, or a train operating against the current of traffic. (or a few other things even.)

In references to the "Boxes Checked" this is in reference to the Track Authority form itself, which replaced the "Form D" when the ex-Conrail territory converted to NS rules. A direct translation is thus:

NORAC Format:
Circle Line Two: Operate BOTH directions on TWO track between SO and MO

NS Format:
Check Box Two: Work between SO and MO on Main 2, T-W-O
 #854729  by beagledogxxx

As far as what mo, so, ao, jw, w, un, ar, mg, c and so on stand for, I've been told the names came from when the telegraph system was still in use. Other areas got rid of the telegraph designation for particular areas and named the interlockings and cp's by the nearby towns(alto, traff, rade, pitt, antis and so on) but for some reason, between johnstown and altoona they kept the old telegraph names.
 #854866  by jgallaway81

I beleive it have to do with when the different segments were converted from local tower control to centralized control at the regional dispatching center.

Actually, come to think of it, that might not be true either.

There used to be two additional interlockings on the mountain... Going railroad west, you had MG, followed by Benny, then SF and finally UN/AR. Somewhere online there is a repository of old PRR interlocking maps. SF and Benny are both diagrammed out. If I find the links, I'll share them here....

EDIT:

Found them, god bless Google: http://broadway.pennsyrr.com/Rail/Prr/M ... _main.html