Railroad Forums 

• N & W 611

• Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
Discussion relating to the NS operations. Official web site can be found here: NSCORP.COM.
 #1334642  by mmi16

After watching a number of the 611 YouTube videos - the engineer is so whistle happy that you can barely hear the actual workings of the 611. The synchopated sounds of a steam engine actually doing it's job is at least as interesting as the sound of the whistle.
 #1334650  by charding

…just watched her come into Manassas about 90 minutes ago…without exaggerating, she is a thing of beauty…brings tears to my eyes...
 #1335304  by ChooChooCat

I am planning on chasing the 611 for this weekend's Lynchburg-Petersburg round trips, which I understand start at 7:30AM at Lynchburg on Sat. and Sunday.

Does anybody have an estimate of the expected arrival time in Petersburg?

Also, any info on good spotting sites--bridges, crossings, parallel roads, etc.--would be appreciated.

Thanks in advance!
 #1335462  by Noel Weaver

mmi16 wrote:After watching a number of the 611 YouTube videos - the engineer is so whistle happy that you can barely hear the actual workings of the 611. The synchopated sounds of a steam engine actually doing it's job is at least as interesting as the sound of the whistle.
NONSENSE -- First thing that will be asked of the engineer if he hits some jerk along the way will be were you warning them with the whistle????? The answer had better be YES. You had better expect a lot of whistle use on these trips.
Noel Weaver
 #1337028  by charding

…check out the most recent copy of Railfan magazine…good article on 611...
 #1337035  by Gadfly

mmi16 wrote:After watching a number of the 611 YouTube videos - the engineer is so whistle happy that you can barely hear the actual workings of the 611. The synchopated sounds of a steam engine actually doing it's job is at least as interesting as the sound of the whistle.
With kind regards to the rail fans among us, some of the engineers (who are probably rail buffs themselves) are excessive. I, too, find this annoying--along with the excessive smoke that would not have been well received even in the steam era. The rulebooks specify that the whistle is to be used as a warning device, for signalling, and to notify approach to crossings. Some of these "whistle jockeys", no doubt to appease the "National Railway 'Hysterical' Society :-D types. go way too far with this, blowing for non-existent crossings, where's there no opposing traffic, and no warning is needed. I have noted these videos where engine whistles are being used along outlying trackage, just blowing and blowing and blowing for no reason. Quite frankly, if I were a Trainmaster, at the risk of being held an A-hole, I would have something to say about excessive whistling. There are some minor safety issues with this in that if people get used to this loud noise that continues to excess, they will become used to it and tend to ignore it, taking risks they would not take otherwise.

The other thing I mentioned is the excessive smoke. True, steam engines smoke more than diesels, but often this is either because of poor firing technique, inexperienced firemen, or it is done, again, to please (?) the overwrought rail buffs and camera jockeys. Take it to extremes and the tree huggers and wild-eyed environmentalists could take exception to it and cause problems for the steam enthusiasts in our midst. :(
 #1338418  by charding

…also, latest edition of Trains magazine…good article…she's getting a lot of good PR...
 #1339830  by sarsnavy05

Very fond memories of that locomotive... I'm glad to see her up and running again!
N&W182648.jpg
N&W182648.jpg (287.79 KiB) Viewed 4892 times