Railroad Forums 

• Pan Am's Heritage Locomotives

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1485224  by b&m 1566

Acting as a broker for the move did cross my mind but I have zero knowledge with railroad freight handling, so I just left it as a question. It certainly make sense for that to be the reason.
 #1486802  by Safetee

Guilford heritage heading west from East Deerfield around 4 this afternoon. The lead in the consist appeared to be a brilliantly freshly painted PAR ex CSX ge unit.
 #1486876  by KSmitty

Backshophoss wrote:Where are the other 2 units headed to the Herber Valley? so far only the B&M and MEC units are on the move west.
BM6569 wrote:They are getting another 2? Total of 4?
3 units total. 52, 72, 77. 72 needs some additional work to be ready to ship (I suspect it had been stripped of parts to keep 52/77 running and likely needs some running gear reassembled to be road worthy). It was sold as inoperable, so its not like Heber is unaware that its missing pieces, but you need enough to make it legal to ship. Trainline air, wheels, etc. and you can't have piece falling off...
NRGeep wrote:Why were the two heritage units sold and for how much?
Haven't you seen all those fancy new GE's? They can FINALLY "get rid of all that old junk" almost 2 decades after they bought the 500's and promised to rid the system of the non-645E3 powered units... :wink: As for how much, various local entities offered a base price of about $75K/running unit. The fact they wound up going to Utah means you can figure they paid more than $150K. If you want an exact number, your best bet is to call Heber and ask, because Billerica isn't ever going to tell.
 #1488223  by b&m 1566

Will we ever see the "newer" bigger engines painted up in a heritage scheme?
 #1488901  by MEC407

A Dash 8 would be perfect as a modern homage to the U18Bs. Renumber it in the 4000 series as a nod to the 400 series Baby Boats. The B&M Blue Dip would look great too.
 #1488905  by New Haven 1

I consider myself lucky for being in the right place at the right time. Shortly after the upgraded line was opened, one early morning while on my way to work at about 4:50AM in downtown Northampton as I was travelling on Main St approaching the overpass on Bridge St, I got to see the heritage units go rumbling across the overpass at what I would guess to be about 40 MPH pulling a manifest freight. It dawned on me right away that at that moment I had instantly travelled back in time 30 years when GP9'S ruled the day and this was a common sight. Awesome!

That was only once, but I won't forget that magical time trip.

Wish I could have filmed it.