• What's with Watertown?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

by NellsChoo

Ok ok... MBCR!!!

So they WERE "in town". It was a 500 series engine, too. A widecab.
  by GP40MC1118

Nope

BO-1 has the MEC 344 and LO-1 had the MEC 370...Those were the only
two GRS freights operating in MBCR dispatched territory today.

Dave

by Guilford Guy

i heard on the scanner today on the MBTA channel AY-relif engine 371 you are clear to head west or something like that
went to check it out but saw nothing,
anyone got some info
  by GP40MC1118

What you heard was the MBCR Boston West TD giving AY-Relief a Rule 502B to reverse direction from Littleton to CPF-WL. They came down from
Ayer with 3 loads to switch Very Fine at King St Littleton.

That was MEC 330.

D
  by BigRock

Lexus could have their cars delivered via rail, and it's right at the end of the Watertown branch. Would they do it? Probably not, but that would be interesting to see the last bit of the line dual track with ramps to let the cars off, and just drive across School Street to the dealer. :)

by FatNoah

I don't know if I would entrust a Lexus to those track conditions!

by GP40MC 1116

FatNoah wrote:I don't know if I would entrust a Lexus to those track conditions!
The Line basically runs yes all the way to Lexus. But their is alot of work to be done fore it ever could be done. Years ago when I lived in Watertown down the street. Bfore Lexus was Barker Steel. The tracks used to Cross School St, come out right behind the car wash and go over to where Lexus Is. Tracks are still their, burried in weeds and all of that!

by TomNelligan

Retail automobile dealers do not get their cars directly by rail -- it makes no economic sense. Cars are shipped by rail in quantity to regional distribution centers (like the former B&M facility in Ayer that was once a major rail destination) and then transported by truck to the individual dealers.

Of course in ancient times when new autos were shipped in boxcars to local team tracks, deliveries of one car at a time were not uncommon, but that was in the days of ten-cent-a-gallon gas.

by l008com

I hope I didn't already post this....

For all those who wish they were lucky enough to catch action on the watertown branch, you should be as lucky as google:
http://maps.google.com/maps?q=17+Herber ... 5&t=k&om=1

by Ron Newman

Cool! But why does Google think this is 17 Herbert Street in Somerville? It's actually west of Sherman Street in Cambridge.

by NellsChoo

HAHAA!!! WOW! Talk about LUCK!!! :wink:

by FatNoah

I think that may have been posted before, but it's still pretty cool. If you travel further down the line, you can see 5 cars waiting for pickup at Newlyweds.

by GP40MC 1116

Has the Watertown Branch seen any activity in the fall months, at least November. I have not heard anything recently. Anyone know anything further?

by cpf354

GP40MC 1116 wrote:Has the Watertown Branch seen any activity in the fall months, at least November. I have not heard anything recently. Anyone know anything further?
Past couple of weeks have gotten a glimpse of an eastbound freight going through Concord Mass. a couple of times, the most recent yesterday at around 825am. I would think it has to be going to Watertown since there aren't any other customers on the Fitchburg Route Main east of Veryfine in Littleton.

by Clem Brookster

About 11:45 AM today, MEC 512 arrived at Newlyweds with 5 hopper cars in tow. The trip down from Fresh Pond was an adventure, particularly under the bridge near the Fresh Pond Reservation. 512 looked like a Coast Guard destroyer cutting through the ice!

Catch it on the return if you can. Lots of Fun!