Railroad Forums 

• Steam?

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1508477  by b&m 1566

I’m doing it again, sorry I can’t resist it.
With all the attention UP has been getting with the Big Boy and the rest of the steam operations they have, along with NS and their steam operations; what are the chances Pan Am tries to find one? You can go back and look at the other thread I started with Pan Am’s Heritage units, in the beginning people thought it was impossible and brushed it off, low and behold they did it. Now I know paint is pennies, compared to a steam engine but what if? Are there steam engines available for them to restore? What would fit best? Again, I don’t think it will happen but as always, this company does throw a curve ball every now and then.
 #1508481  by Train60

Great thought.

Plan A
1. Raise money to restore Boston and Maine No. 3713 which is listed as "under restoration" at Steamtown.
https://www.nps.gov/stea/planyourvisit/locomotives.htm

2. Complete the restoration of BM 3713.

3. Convince Steamtown to loan the engine to Pan Am for a summer and fall tour around the system.

Plan B
Can't wait for Plan A? Then convince the Virginia Museum of Transportation to operate N&W No. 611 on PAR/PAS tracks for a tour.

I'd be fine with Plan B personally.

Maybe Mr. Mellon could be convinced to fund this effort.
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri May 17, 2019 9:59 am, edited 2 times in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting
 #1508485  by shadyjay

I really don't see steam in Pan-Am's future, for a couple of reasons....
(1) they don't have the facilities to maintain it, (2) their public relations record hasn't been the greatest, (3) they don't run regular excursions, (4) they don't own any steam locomotives

Now with that being said, there is always the possibility of Maine Central #470 (that's being restored in Ellsworth, ME) operating on (or at least being shuttled via) Pan-Am trackage. The completion of #470 is still several years away, and the 470 web site https://www.newenglandsteam.org/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; has said that it would be "broken in" on the Downeast Scenic trackage before being allowed to roam elsewhere. There's also the issue of whether it can get out of where it is in Ellsworth, or would it have to wait until a rail connection is possible back to Pan-Am trackage in Bangor/Brewer. As for other MEC steamers, the Conway Scenic is *possibly* looking into bringing back Maine Central 2-8-0 #501 to service. And down in Steamtown, they have MEC 2-8-0 #519 stored by the roundhouse. Maybe Pan-Am could buy it and place it into service.... or more logically, when the B&M 3713 (at Steamtown) is fully restored, perhaps it could run a special excursion out of Boston. I do recall reading that 3713 would be the primary Steamtown locomotive when its restoration is done. Who knows when that'll be. But there's no reason 3717 couldn't make an off-line appearance on its home road and pull a Boston-Portland special or out to Greenfield. I'd buy a ticket!

Or, Pan-Am buys the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern #425. They wouldn't even have to repaint it... it's already a dark blue!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_Blue_Mountain_and_Northern_Railroad_425#/media/File:Reading,_Blue_Mountain_%26_Northern_425_(2017).jpg

So visits by other steamers are "possible", but not likely within the next several years. As far as a Pan-Am steam program, I wouldn't hold my breath. But then again, stranger things have happened!
Last edited by MEC407 on Fri May 17, 2019 10:02 am, edited 1 time in total. Reason: fixed broken link
 #1508793  by MEC407

shady jay wrote: . . . there is always the possibility of Maine Central #470 (that's being restored in Ellsworth, ME) operating on (or at least being shuttled via) Pan-Am trackage.
In my opinion, that is the most plausible scenario in which we'd see steam on Pan Am within the next 10 years or so.
shady jay wrote:Or, Pan-Am buys the Reading Blue Mountain & Northern #425. They wouldn't even have to repaint it... it's already a dark blue!
https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reading_Blue_Mountain_and_Northern_Railroad_425#/media/File:Reading,_Blue_Mountain_%26_Northern_425_(2017).jpg
The same thought crossed my mind. It's already got the correct paint scheme; all they'd have to do is change the names and heralds. :-D I don't think it'll happen, primarily because I'm not aware of RBMN having any desire or intention of selling it, but it's fun to think about.
 #1508896  by Backshophoss

With the exception of the Downeaster routing,the Steam locos used for fantrips would avoid PAR/PAS trackage and their SLOW MAS speeds
for Passenger traffic(appx 15-20 mph).
The thought of PM1225,SR(C&O)2760,or any of the active NKP Berkshires running on dead slow sub-standard track scary! :(
The RB&N T-1 would sink into the subroadbed on PAR Trackage. :(
 #1508994  by newpylong

There isn't really any 15-20 track. 10 or 25 mph unless Downeaster or T territory then 40. If it's on PAS it's nearly all 25.
 #1509064  by b&m 1566

Train60 wrote:Plan B
Can't wait for Plan A? Then convince the Virginia Museum of Transportation to operate N&W No. 611 on PAR/PAS tracks for a tour.

I'd be fine with Plan B personally.

Maybe Mr. Mellon could be convinced to fund this effort.
Not a chance, that engine wouldn't make it 10 feet before derailing. I'f im not mistaken the driving axles are fixed to the frame, they can't move up and down because the drive rods are one long peace for all 4 axles. The track needs to be perfect as perfect can be for that engine.
 #1509089  by BandA

For UP, steam is probably a rounding error on their balance sheet, that generates goodwill, and they can probably deduct it as some sort of charitable / historical preservation.
 #1509666  by Backshophoss

4014 will NOT be allowed off UP trackage! NO MAINLINE Steam loco will run on PAR/PAS sub-standard trackage!
Too risky to even try!
 #1509817  by H.F.Malone

Will some one please lock this absurd thread?
 #1509827  by KSmitty

Only to play Devil's advocate, the west end of the B&M has already played host to a 4-8-8-4 Big Boy. Granted not in the spectacular fashion of a "live steam" event, but 35 years ago UP X4012 plied the rails from Bellows Falls to East Deerfield and then Mechanicville.

http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=303449" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://photos.nerail.org/s/?p=64001" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... ?id=303455" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Seriously, I was right there with everyone else in saying Pan Am would never have heritage units when the "Pan Am Heritage Units" thread first opened about 2 years before it happened. I think I learned my lesson, never say never...While it seems highly unlikely that Pan Am will ever own and operate their own external combustion locomotive, a #470 restoration excursion doesn't seem completely out of the realm of possible, to me. Especially if DSRX continues to work to reestablishing a rail connection with the national network.
 #1509840  by MEC407

H.F.Malone wrote:Will some one please lock this absurd thread?
Shouldn't you be busy sending your lawyers to harass single moms who got screwed by your third-rate railroad?

[Rest in peace, Doris Day]
 #1509939  by H.F.Malone

I'll have you know that the E&P is the best dam railroad in New England! I took this New England boiled dinner of a railroad and made it profitable in less than a year!

Harry
 #1510089  by CannaScrews

Damn - I need some of these drugs. Haven't had a good trip since 1969. (No, I didn't try the brown acid).