Railroad Forums 

• Rigby Yard — Activity, Sightings, and General Discussion

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1375978  by MEC407

How 'bout this:

FedEx just bought the old J.J. Nissen plant in Biddeford, which has a siding off the main. FedEx won't be using the siding. FedEx leases the siding and the railcar loading/unloading area to NGL. Would be a win-win.
 #1375984  by Cowford

That has absolutely nothing to do with this. This is simply a classic case of New England nimbyism.
Portsmouth did everything South Portland did and then some.
In other words, "Maine's not the worst, the whole region is like this!"
 #1376005  by fogg1703

gokeefe wrote: Portsmouth did everything South Portland did and then some.
Well short of the small fact that NGL was forced into a sale by the State of Maine for the IMT expansion and then left out to dry by the same state and local leadership when it came to finding a new site at Rigby. A blind eye after Maine got what they wanted isn't exactly what I would call friendly.
 #1376011  by newpylong

Cowford wrote:
That has absolutely nothing to do with this. This is simply a classic case of New England nimbyism.
Yes, if it's not white collar most up here don't want it.
 #1376018  by F-line to Dudley via Park

newpylong wrote:
Cowford wrote:
Yes, if it's not white collar most up here don't want it.
Not every town in Massachusetts is like this...but, whoo boy, way way too many of them scream exactly the same shrill note. The STB filings are flying left and right about that New England Transload thing on the Woburn Loop spur.
 #1376036  by MEC407

fogg1703 wrote:
gokeefe wrote: Portsmouth did everything South Portland did and then some.
Well short of the small fact that NGL was forced into a sale by the State of Maine for the IMT expansion and then left out to dry by the same state and local leadership when it came to finding a new site at Rigby. A blind eye after Maine got what they wanted isn't exactly what I would call friendly.
That seems like it's probably a pretty accurate assessment. NGL was, apparently, perfectly happy on West Commercial Street and probably wouldn't have had any reason or desire to leave if the state hadn't forced them to. The question is, did the state choose the Rigby site for them, or help them choose Rigby, or did NGL come up with that all on their own? Either way, one can't ignore that this whole thing was bungled from the very beginning. The ordinance against new large scale fuel storage in South Portland goes back 20+ years and wasn't a secret to anyone. How they (NGL, the state) missed that is beyond me. Don't they have well-staffed, well-funded legal departments who are capable of reading a town's Code of Ordinances?

I wish them luck in finding a suitable site. It shouldn't be that hard. There must be close to a half dozen industrial-type sites with sidings off the main between Portland and Wells.
 #1376038  by gokeefe

Cowford wrote:
I think there are many many places across the entire country that are like this ... I can imagine plenty of places, especially in densely populated areas where these facilities are difficult to find sites for.

The one thing NGL has going for them in this situation is the abundance of underused industrial properties all over the area. They will find something just not in South Portland.
 #1376338  by leviramsey

gokeefe wrote:
Cowford wrote:
I think there are many many places across the entire country that are like this ... I can imagine plenty of places, especially in densely populated areas where these facilities are difficult to find sites for.
Well, New England's tradition, going back to the 17th century, of a high degree of local autonomy gives NIMBYs a lot more tools for their arsenal. In places where the primary layer of local government is the county, it's a lot harder for the folks in a particular set of backyards to NIMBY things.
 #1383321  by Bulkheadflat

Surveillance cameras have now been installed throughout Rigby yard, and additional lighting as well. I'm assuming this is due to the rapidly growing intermodal traffic we're now seeing, but am not certain. The last yard camera I can remember was a large one on the east side of the yard by the old clean-out tracks in the 90's, and was told back then that it had been out of use for a long time by that point.
Turners Island has been loaded with cars lately, saw a line of at least 10 open-top high sided black hoppers in there last week, with quite a few others sitting in the sidings behind the neighborhood, busy place these days!
 #1383333  by MEC407

Glad to hear about the new cameras. The old cameras were OOS for a loooooong time. I first heard about them in '99 or 2000, and was told they'd been broken "for quite a while" at that point... so we're talking probably 20+ years now.
 #1383344  by pnolette

newpylong wrote:The ones in Deerfield stopped working in the early 90s when the yard switches went from remote controlled to manual throw. The Guilford way. Did Rigby have any remote switches too?
Rigby had power switches at both ends of the yard and on the leads when PT Tower was active.Everything went manual when the tower was closed.