Railroad Forums 

• Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1536760  by MEC407

I understand stocking up on TP. I don't understand stocking up on bottled water. COVID-19 isn't causing wells to run dry or city water systems to shut down. There are some people who legitimately need bottled water because their well water is poor quality, but those people are in the extreme minority and now they're being harmed by people who have perfectly good water sources and don't actually need bottled water.

The hoarders are a whole other story — the ones who've been buying up HUGE quantities of stuff and reselling it at obscene markup. Karma will not be kind to them.
 #1536766  by gokeefe

Correct however if there was sufficient trucking capacity I'm confident Poland Springs could ramp up. This crisis is similar to an extreme summer heat wave. Should be interesting to see if they can increase production sufficiently to meet demand. I'm guessing they will work their way through this.
 #1536769  by MEC407

With more and more school districts announcing closures of a week or more, I wonder if school bus drivers could get temporary work hauling water...?
 #1536771  by 690

Not likely, unless said school bus drivers also happen to have a Class A. There's also a significant difference between driving a long wheelbase vehicle like a bus, and an actual trailer, which likely would take more than several weeks to properly adjust to.
 #1536781  by pnolette

Another problem.Stores like Hannaford have product at their warehouse,just not enough drivers to keep up with demand at store level.Its bad enough that DOT has suspended HOS rules for certain companies hauling food or medicine.
 #1536903  by gokeefe

690 wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 1:32 pm Not likely, unless said school bus drivers also happen to have a Class A. There's also a significant difference between driving a long wheelbase vehicle like a bus, and an actual trailer, which likely would take more than several weeks to properly adjust to.
Totally agreed. Interesting that the current situation is driving a shortage in trucking and not a collapse.

I would guess some drivers might be laid off and could pickup short term work with other companies. Amazon supposedly is hiring 100,000 warehouse workers to deal with increased demand. Pretty ridiculous that economic shifts from the crisis could actually drive unemployment down.

There will be losses in small business and retail but if short term hiring picks up elsewhere it could be a wash. That's absolutely crazy when you really think about it.
 #1536908  by roberttosh

There is no way in God's green earth that new hiring associated with the virus, such as the Amazon situation will even register on the radar screen compared to the job losses. Granted, in the best case scenario some of those jobs could start coming back in several weeks, but right now we're heading off a cliff.
 #1536927  by Rbts Stn

Safetee wrote: Sun Mar 15, 2020 6:34 pm If automobile drivers get nervous when they see the letters kcam appear on their rear views with a driver behind the wheel, just imagine the thrill they'll have when a truck with the same credentials but no driver shows up.
Steven Spielberg is cackling with glee over this idea
 #1536929  by jaymac

by Rbts Stn » Tue Mar 17, 2020 6:33 am
Safetee wrote: ↑Sun Mar 15, 2020 7:34 pm
If automobile drivers get nervous when they see the letters kcam appear on their rear views with a driver behind the wheel, just imagine the thrill they'll have when a truck with the same credentials but no driver shows up.
Steven Spielberg is cackling with glee over this idea
To keep the Spielberg gag running, we're gonna need a bigger mirror if it's a t-dnomaid.
 #1547921  by Cosakita18

Does anyone know about the work going on at Merrill dry bulk terminal? For the past few weeks I've been seeing dredging and cement pouring along the water at the eastern end of the facility. It seems to be fairly substantial and disruptive work, since Merrill hasn't seen a ship in almost a month.