Railroad Forums 

• Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1473942  by Cosakita18

CN9634 wrote:Some of those might be empties as the pool is managed from Eimskip and they have been increasing it as of late. Should see a surge in traffic this summer if all goes well... not all from PS.
So finally seeing some ship-to-rail traffic from Eimskip?
 #1477447  by Mikejf

https://www.pressherald.com/2018/06/25/ ... aterfront/
Americold abandons plan to build cold storage building on Portland waterfront
But state and city officials remain confident that a temperature-controlled warehouse will eventually be built on state-owned land near the International Marine Terminal.
International cold-storage company Americold has abandoned a plan to build a massive refrigerated warehouse on the Portland waterfront.

The decision dampens immediate hopes for waterfront cold storage, which has been touted as an economic game-changer for Maine’s growing food and beverage industries. Even so, state and city officials say a refrigerated warehouse will eventually be built on the state-owned land.
 #1477542  by Cowford

So, a couple of questions:

* If Americold, hardly a newbie in the cold storage business, deems this project not economically viable, why does ME DOT think they can pull it off?

* Why's it so important to have the warehouse on the waterfront? (I can think of a couple of reasons why it would be advantageous... but required?)
 #1477544  by gokeefe

The article states that it is critical to Eimskip's business plan for Portland.

MaineDOT seems to think a different configuration would actually be better for what they have in mind. Also worth noting that Americold is already in Portland but the facility does not have sufficient capacity for export traffic of frozen seafood.
 #1478183  by Cowford

That Eimskip wants it doesn't answer the questions as to whether there's actually enough business committed to support the facility or why it needs to be on the waterfront rather than, say, adjacent to Rigby in South Portland... or an expansion at Read Street? (And a three-mile dray excuse is a- ummm- a red herring.) Reference MeDOT/Dept of Supply Chain wanting a different configuration... is someone at Me DOT is expert enough on cold storage logistics to be able to understand optimal warehouse design?
 #1478188  by gokeefe

Americold's change of direction appears largely related to their change in ownership structure. They clearly thought this project was viable and invested their resources into it. The decision to pursue the project in the first place affirmed the idea that their existing facility was insufficient for expected new business. I am assuming that the dray was not in fact a problem but that the new site was seen as having certain advantages. I do think MDOT and the Maine Port Authority have received plenty of feedback from industry regarding the optimal configurations for the intended cold storage use. They know that the demand is and I'm sure Eimskip as well as other stakeholders have given them plenty of perspective on that.
 #1492952  by MEC407

This morning I saw two loads of coal in Yard 8. Anyone know who they're for?
 #1493040  by MEC407

What other customers does Sprague supply coal to?