Railroad Forums 

• Portland Waterfront Rail Ops (Yard 8, Intermodal, etc)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1473163  by tonyschul

So that means that POSE will have a block of 10 containers every few days, and SEPO the same with the empties. Or are they running more than one block? 2-3 days to get to Worcester and another day to North Jersey...... Any other destinations in the works? I will have to get out onto the Worcester Main to catch the action. Is this the reason they are add ties to make it more stable?
 #1473169  by bostontrainguy

tonyschul wrote: Is this the reason they are add ties to make it more stable?
Kind of funny when you realize that they are fixing the track for water trains but that track was okay for explosive oil trains. Anyway, it's a step in the right direction. So as the water business grows and St. John Intermodal gets cranking, perhaps the track will get progressively better and faster and Pan Am will finally have the incentive to invest more into their railroad.

It's easy to criticize the things Pan Am has done, but now at least they have the justification to fix their infrastructure a bit. And maybe eventually build the business up enough to where Norfolk Southern decides it's worth acquiring.
 #1473237  by MEC407

. . . [Guilford or PAR] will finally have the incentive to invest more into their railroad.
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard those words over the past 20 years, I'd have enough money for a big dinner at DiMillo's and their best bottle of wine.
 #1473247  by SpiderHill

markyk wrote:Elmskips with some of that water from Maine heading to North Jersey a few times per week.....stay tuned
tonyschul wrote:So that means that POSE will have a block of 10 containers every few days, and SEPO the same with the empties. Or are they running more than one block? 2-3 days to get to Worcester and another day to North Jersey...... Any other destinations in the works? I will have to get out onto the Worcester Main to catch the action. Is this the reason they are add ties to make it more stable?
I saw ten Eimskips returning from CSX on the rear of SEPO back on April 7th on the Worcester main heading east into Ayer. I posted on the Worcester Main asking where they were going to/from. No one seemed to know or responded. It is the only time I have seen them heading in either direction on the Worcester main since. It does not appear to be a regular occurrence yet or I am not catching them at the right time.
 #1473248  by newpylong

MEC407 wrote:
. . . [Guilford or PAR] will finally have the incentive to invest more into their railroad.
If I had a dollar for every time I've heard those words over the past 20 years, I'd have enough money for a big dinner at DiMillo's and their best bottle of wine.
Furthermore, they've had every incentive for the past 35 years to invest in the railroad. People shouldn't be fooled that the market or industry changes are the sole reason for a reduction in carloads. If you cannot offer decent service or realistic transit times, the product is simply not going to use rail. The amount of traffic this railroad has pissed away in the past 20 years that still could be using rail is hard to fathom.

They do however have no problem investing other people's money into their railroad.
 #1473267  by KSmitty

tonyschul wrote:Is this the reason they are add ties to make it more stable?
Referring to the Worcester Main work? That is T funded as part of the deal to use the Worcester Main while the Grand Junction is closed this spring, I believe.
bostontrainguy wrote:Kind of funny when you realize that they are fixing the track for water trains but that track was okay for explosive oil trains.
Actually, they ran an 800 tie/mile project from Keag to Newport in the fall of 2012; and the project was done pretty much exclusively to make sure things up for the added oil traffic.
 #1473281  by bostontrainguy

MEC407 wrote:
Perhaps . . . well actually maybe true . . . but this St. John project is actually something that could actually do it.

https://www.joc.com/port-news/internati ... 70913.html" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Exerpt:
The Port of Saint John has unveiled a new direct intermodal rail service between the Canada port and the Boston market, giving US shippers a Canadian alternative to US Northeast gateways including Boston as well as the Port of New York and New Jersey.

For many US shippers, the latter provides critical access to the Northeast market, but the new Saint John intermodal service provides a workaround for those seeking to avoid congestion at the largest East Coast port as well as any fallout from upcoming labor negotiations there.

The new Saint John intermodal service, a partnership between terminal operator DP World and regional railroad company Pan Am Railways, was announced on Tuesday.
 #1473300  by CN9634

JOC articles, as nice as they are, don't generate rail traffic. To date, zero revenue containers have moved via this routing. Could that change tomorrow? Of course... but in the meantime it's unlikely to happen (especially with the existing MSC and CMA services calling NYC/PHL)
 #1473316  by bostontrainguy

Well the thing is in it's infancy but DP World is a big player.

http://web.dpworld.com/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

http://web.dpworld.com/our-business/mar ... brunswick/" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Excerpt:
Port Saint John has embarked on an aggressive modernization program that will increase handling capacity, deepen quayside draft and provide additional on-dock rail capacity by 2021.
Last edited by MEC407 on Sat May 19, 2018 2:54 pm, edited 1 time in total. Reason: unnecessary quoting