Railroad Forums 

• "Up North" Gawking (District 1 sightings)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1589545  by MEC407

Brief fair-use quote from the article:
Bangor Daily News wrote: . . . this week Maine potatoes have left Aroostook County on rail cars, bound for big markets, for the first time in more than 40 years.

The 2021 harvest made history for its size — a roughly 20 percent greater yield than normal, thanks to near-perfect growing conditions. But that led to a few problems along the way: What to do with all the extra spuds, and how to get them to market in the middle of a trucking shortage.
. . .
“The Maine Northern Railroad and Union Pacific Railway arranged for refrigerated rail cars to be sent to Van Buren,” [Maine DOT] said via Twitter. “Thirty-three refrigerated rail cars are now loaded with spuds and bound for Washington state.”
 #1590253  by petahgriff8316

Random question and can't seem to find the answer anywhere: what's the difference between downtown Portland and downtown Auburn that makes the former have quiet zones but not the latter? I get not having them at Danville/Hacketts/etc. but it just struck me as odd that they blow their horns going through those gated crossings downtown whereas Portland (which you'd think is more populated/congested) has a number of gated (but not channeled) crossings where they go right through and you might barely notice.
 #1590266  by S1f3432

The Deering Center/ Woodfords and North Deering neighborhoods in Portland through which Panam's
mainline passes are predominantly residential areas whereas the area in Auburn bordering the track is
mostly commercial with the edge of a residential area close only for 3 or 4 blocks between Court St. and
the Turner St. overpass and also not a high income area with a lot of people likely to complain.
 #1590291  by Trinnau

Quiet zones are the responsibility of the municipality to apply for with the FRA and maintain the status (they expire). The railroad only stops blowing horns upon receiving notification from the FRA that a quiet zone has been approved. The sounding of horns at a railroad crossing is required under federal regulations, only a federal agency can relieve that.

More info on Quiet Zones on the FRA website
 #1590300  by petahgriff8316

S1f3432 wrote: Mon Jan 24, 2022 7:29 pm The Deering Center/ Woodfords and North Deering neighborhoods in Portland through which Panam's
mainline passes are predominantly residential areas whereas the area in Auburn bordering the track is
mostly commercial with the edge of a residential area close only for 3 or 4 blocks between Court St. and
the Turner St. overpass and also not a high income area with a lot of people likely to complain.
Good point -- that said, I saw a video of a train coming across Library Ave. at around midnight with what looked to be a brand-new looking apartment building in the background. I guess either they find what people will pay to live right next to the tracks (quite a bit, presumably) OR we'll be seeing a quiet zone application led by that building. :P
 #1590301  by MEC407

In today's housing market, most folks can't be picky about where they live or what they live next to. Small 1 bedroom apartments next to the Portland Jetport are renting for over $2000 a month (NOT including heat or utilities). Considering the number of arrivals and departures at PWM every day vs. the number of trains that run through Lewiston every day, I suspect that new apartment complex near the tracks is a significantly quieter place to live.
 #1590749  by petahgriff8316

Slightly off-topic but kinda funny: I've been a railfan for about 25 years and, as someone who grew up in the digital age, loved train sims but used to be "meh" about the railroads – there was never a PAR route that I was aware of other than Portland Terminal so being in Maine it wasn't very relatable. Anyway, I bought TS 2022 a week or so ago determined to figure out how to make a legit route. Turns out there is a Google maps overlay that's pretty easy to use and builds the models to scale, so I built the routes from Rigby to Waterville, the Lower Road to Brunswick, and SLR from Yarmouth to Auburn. Super bare-bones at the moment – I'm also working on the same routes with legit elevation (which will be like a year-long project) – and at present it's basically just a handful of crossings and Leeds/Danville/Readfield siding/Royal but I believe I built the first ever sim route between Portland and Waterville. Ran a Downeaster from WA to PO in 1h5m*...79 all the way! :P

* Even with perfect tracks, and recognizing that speeds fluctuate between 10 and 25 between Royal and Waterville, totally recognize this is a farce...there are some sharp switchbacks that prevent many straightaway tangent sections. That said, Walnut siding in North Yarmouth is on about a 3 1/2 mile straightaway track (MP 181 to 184.5). Also it's a game, so physics don't exist (as much).

As I write this, flying through Danville. ~25 minutes to Portland.