Railroad Forums 

• PAR Business Train (ST 100, 101, 102 & 103; PAR 1 & 2)

• Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.
Guilford Rail System changed its name to Pan Am Railways in 2006. Discussion relating to the current operations of the Boston & Maine, the Maine Central, and the Springfield Terminal railroads (as well as the Delaware & Hudson while it was under Guilford control until 1988). Official site can be found here: PANAMRAILWAYS.COM.

Moderator: MEC407

#1580976  by johnpbarlow

On today's NEARS convention agenda we have the following two interesting presenters/topics:
10:30 – Are we ready for the new North American Rail Network?
Martin J. Oberman, Chairman, Surface Transportation Board

11:15 – Pan Am & CSX Merger Update
Kevin Boone, EVP Sales & Marketing, CSX
 #1584662  by MEC407

Video by mec_rails of the business train blasting through Exeter yesterday with the freshly-painted Dash 8 on the point:

#1584697  by MEC407

The horn is a Nathan K3L. I assume they took it from one of the retired 500s.
 #1591698  by Engineer Spike

I was watching a Youtube video of Guilford in the mid 1980s. In one shot they had the business train. The power was one of the stolen D&H 7600 class, AKA B&M 350 series, and a steam generator GP7. I noticed that the consist had several stainless coaches along with present ST 100 and 101. I'd also seen it in Plainville as a teen, but it had two of the 350s. Where did all of the other coaches go? When did they stop using them?
 #1594085  by petahgriff8316

BandA wrote:remind me, is the OCS being sold with the railroad or retained by Mr Mellon? Would CSX have any purpose for it?
Propaganda? :-D

In all seriousness, what would it cost them to keep it around? I don't know either way. From a general business perspective, my view would be if it's not taking up resources and it provides some value, it's not a problem. That said, the second it is taking away resources from a mission-critical part of the business, I say get rid of it. I imagine that bar might be pretty low for CSX — perhaps as low as the idea of repainting it into CSX colors.
 #1594086  by NHV 669

They already have an OCS that is capable of traveling where they need to send it. What use would they have for these extra cars, and power that isn't PTC compliant?