Railroad Forums 

• Vero Beach

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#447589  by Spartan Phalanx

I was last down to Vero Beach in February, 2003 and didn't catch any FEC action. What's new with FEC in Vero? Do they still serve that lumber/building products customer in town? I remember seeing boxcars and flatcars spotted on that spur the first time I was in Vero in February of 2001. Does FEC still serve the aggregate customer north of town? I remember seeing cuts of FEC hoppers spotted parallel to the main line from the road (Old Dixie Highway???) that also parallels the FEC main line.

#447657  by GOLDEN-ARM

All that stuff is still there. Do yourself a favor, next time your in town. Head south, on US-1 about 20 minutes, to downtown Ft Pierce. Good size yard there, and the Glades Cut-Off connects there, with SCFX trains running there on trackage rights, as well as Tropicana juice train too. All locals go on duty there, so there's always something to see. Vero is okay, for hit-or-miss action, but Ft. Pierce always has something happening.

#448207  by lakeshoredave

Vero Beach and anywhere in the middle of FEC is where the majority of traffic runs at night. Train 101 starts the southbound rush around 1700 hrs or so I'd say. Make sure you have a good scanner and a good antenna to hear the FEC Dispatchers setting up meets at sidings, because they do not call signals down there.

Lakeshore Dave

#448574  by C2629

A couple of questions. What frequency is used on the FEC mainline? Looking at the recent article in Trains magazine, it would appear that a few trains may hit the New Smynra-Titusville area in the afternoon, am I correct in thinking this? Also, are there any passing sidings located between New Smynra and Ft. Pierce?

#448686  by Spartan Phalanx

There's a long siding in Vero Beach.

#448724  by GOLDEN-ARM

Here's a look at the railroad, from start to finish, with all switches and sidings listed. FEC

#449556  by Noel Weaver

GOLDEN-ARM wrote:Here's a look at the railroad, from start to finish, with all switches and sidings listed. FEC
I think the schedules posted at this site are out of date.
Noel Weaver

#449861  by GOLDEN-ARM

Could be, I posted it to show sidings fron north to south. My stuff is still in Ft. Pierce, while I languish in Oregon.......... :(

#451109  by lakeshoredave

are the main radio channels used on the florida east coast railway. its always good to keep your scanner locked on these two channels because the dispatcher will inform trains of meets at sidings, especially at night when traffic is at its heaviest on the fec.

enjoy the time you railfan them down there. the fec is a very good operation.
 #590591  by Noel Weaver

Like many other places, business is down somewhat so some trains are not running from day to day. 160.53 is your main
channel to hear both the trains on the road and the train dispatcher. 160.77 Is used by the trains to call the dispatcher but
the dispatcher will then answer them on 160.53.
Noel Weaver
 #652267  by The Tenth Legion

Can't wait to visit Disney's Vero Beach Resort soon............and FEC's main line. What can I expect during daylight hours, and is FEC still servicing the aggregate customer north of town and the building materials/lumber spur in town? Thanks much.
 #1163457  by Teutobergerwald

Will be in Vero Beach for the next five days for a beach/pool, Mets Spring training game in Port St. Lucie and fishing out of Fort Pierce vacation. Would also love to catch some FEC movements through Vero during daylight. Anyone know anything of FEC's movements through Vero between Thursday, 3/21 & Tuesday, 3/26 ??? Thanks.
 #1163501  by Noel Weaver

Teutobergerwald wrote:Will be in Vero Beach for the next five days for a beach/pool, Mets Spring training game in Port St. Lucie and fishing out of Fort Pierce vacation. Would also love to catch some FEC movements through Vero during daylight. Anyone know anything of FEC's movements through Vero between Thursday, 3/21 & Tuesday, 3/26 ??? Thanks.
Be advised that business cars Azalea and St. Augustine are scheduled to ride southbound on train 101 on Monday, March 25th. I suspect it will pass though Vero Beach sometime around 6:00 PM give of take a little.
Noel Weaver