Railroad Forums 

• Train / Truck Accident in Cocoa - Rockledge, FL

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#284109  by ACLfan2

An extremely unfortunate accident happened today (Monday, August 21, 2006) when a FEC conductor (Mr. Kim Rogers) was killed in an accident involving a collision with a dump truck.

Mr. Rogers was riding on the rear end of a hopper car as he was directing the engineer on a switching movement of Local 915 along a local service track in an industrial area in the Cocoa - Rockledge, FL area.

The dump truck driver approached the train on a local road within the industrial area that did not have crossing signals, just cross bucks. The truck driver decided at the last moment that he could beat the train across the track. The end car that Mr. Rogers was riding clipped the rear portion of the dump truck, directly affecting Mr. Rogers.

Of course, the dump truck driver wasn't hurt in the accident.

A totally unnecessary accident cost a man his life, simply because some dumb, stupid truck driver thought that he would play a thoughtless game of "beat the train"!

My condolences to Mr. Rogers' family.

#285216  by GOLDEN-ARM

I got this one, in my "SOFA" report. Not knowing Kim personally, but feeling the loss of anyone killed in the line of duty, my feelings go out to his family, as well. No charges have been filed, as of yet, but I would be happy to see at least a Murder 2 charge brought against the P.O.S. driver. :(

#286450  by GOLDEN-ARM

Except for the fact that Kim was riding a freight car, not a locomotive. Kinda not really similar, at all............. :(