Railroad Forums 

• Track near Orlando Intl. Airport

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#230979  by Legio X

When going to or from Orlando Intl. Airport and Disney World, you pass over a single track line. The track has shiny rails and appears to be well-maintained. I believe the Interstate in question is I-4, but I was on the Disney Magical Express shuttle bus, and thus not paying attention to the road we were using. Anybody know what line this is and what kind of traffic it sees? Thanks.
 #263073  by ichogger

It seves the power plant close to the airport. It comes off the Sanford Sub at Taft, Florida. They use it for unit coal drags.
 #453021  by brickbuilder711

ichogger wrote:It seves the power plant close to the airport. It comes off the Sanford Sub at Taft, Florida. They use it for unit coal drags.
I don't think you are correct, as the coal spur is down south a few miles. You pass over the Auto Rack/Intermodal spur aside from Taft Yard then the yard. The last bridge is a single track spur served by either CSX or trackage rights to FCEN. If need be, feel free to correct me. I don't live in Orlando, but know the action there.

#453143  by Matt K Dettman

If you headed north from the airport onto SR 528 and went west to I-4 you'd pass over the CSXT main and CSXT Taft Yard. If the bus took the south exit which if he took the highway SR 417 (toll road) or Boggy Creek Road you'd cross a well used and maintained line that skirts the airport's property to the south to reach the coal power plant to the east. CSXT serves that line. BTW I used to live in Orlando and pretty much know the area.
 #453146  by Matt K Dettman

brickbuilder711 wrote:
ichogger wrote:It seves the power plant close to the airport. It comes off the Sanford Sub at Taft, Florida. They use it for unit coal drags.
I don't think you are correct, as the coal spur is down south a few miles. You pass over the Auto Rack/Intermodal spur aside from Taft Yard then the yard. The last bridge is a single track spur served by either CSX or trackage rights to FCEN. If need be, feel free to correct me. I don't live in Orlando, but know the action there.
FCEN doesn't come off the line that splits off the south end of Taft Yard; that branches off towards the industrial parks over by Florida Mall on OBT and John Young. I know FCEN picks up and sets out in Taft Yard, but their line takes off in downtown Orlando north of Church St, but south of SR 50 (EW Colonial Drive).

*A note to the moderator Golden Arm, I think this should be in the CSXT forum.*

If you're wondering, I spent quite of bit of time railfaning the area and checking it against Google Maps.
 #453548  by brickbuilder711

Matt K Dettman wrote:
brickbuilder711 wrote:
FCEN doesn't come off the line that splits off the south end of Taft Yard; that branches off towards the industrial parks over by Florida Mall on OBT and John Young. I know FCEN picks up and sets out in Taft Yard, but their line takes off in downtown Orlando north of Church St, but south of SR 50 (EW Colonial Drive).

*A note to the moderator Golden Arm, I think this should be in the CSXT forum.*

If you're wondering, I spent quite of bit of time railfaning the area and checking it against Google Maps.
I stand corrected. I never saw the action on the spur. I was just mixed up with the locals FCEN Runs. I was taking it as if he went 528 west, but maybe yeah, it'd be the coal line in the case he went down 417. Not to forget the A Line.

Regarding traffic, my guess is that the spur sees about 10 per day.

EDIT: I agree to thinking that it fits with CSX. FEC runs quite a ways east of OIA.

#453555  by Noel Weaver

To All Concerned:
Please do not pollute the Florida East Coast forum with CSX stuff.
Thank you,
Noel Weaver