Railroad Forums 

• Rinker Engine

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#174554  by Noel Weaver

An SW type EMD switcher went south in tow behind the regular engines on
a freight train through Fort Lauderdale last Thursday, October 6th very late in the evening. It had a five digit number but was unexpected and I
was unable to get the number. It looked like it just came out of the shop
somewhere with new (very dark) and clean paint.
I think Rinker is the originator of the unit trains (rock) that go north in the
PM through Fort Lauderdale. They also apparently have other plants up
and down the east coast of Florida.
The FEC provides a good show of trains in the evening through Fort
Lauderdale and occasionally I just sit around and watch them.
Noel Weaver

#174578  by 262

There is another industrial switcher around Broward County.I have seen pictures of.It belongs to Conrad Yelvington.It is an Alco S-1 or 2.Do not know which railroad services the plant CSX or FEC.Seen pictures also of a Rinker opperation in Palm Ba.County.Where they use a balloon track and a flat car with radio reciever,to unload whole unit trains spotted by the FEC using remote control.Nice catch Noel, sorry I missed it.

#174736  by octr202

Although its been at least four years or so, Rinker used to have an Alco S-something at their Jacksonville plant, which was usually parked at the end of the siding right out on US1/Phillips Hwy. near the FEC yard. unfortunately, it looked like it had been re-engined with a Cat or something...the Alco stack was gone, replaced with a turkc engine looking exhaust pipe, and not located in the right place. No idea if its still there or not.

#189533  by mmi16

octr202 wrote:Although its been at least four years or so, Rinker used to have an Alco S-something at their Jacksonville plant, which was usually parked at the end of the siding right out on US1/Phillips Hwy. near the FEC yard. unfortunately, it looked like it had been re-engined with a Cat or something...the Alco stack was gone, replaced with a turkc engine looking exhaust pipe, and not located in the right place. No idea if its still there or not.
It is still there and used every working day by Rinker personnel to switch the aggregrate cars within thier plant.