Railroad Forums 

• ES44C4 locomotives

• Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.
Discussion relating to the FEC operations, past and present. Includes Brightline. Official web site can be found here: FECRWY.COM.

Moderator: GOLDEN-ARM

#1246830  by electricron

FEC acquires 24 new ES44C4 locomotives from GE Transportation.
http://fecrwy.investorroom.com/2014-01- ... c.facebook
The ES44C4 is the newest model in GE's Evolution series is designed to meet US EPA Tier 3 emissions requirements using advanced engine technology that lowers fuel consumption and operating costs. The center axle of each truck is unpowered, giving an A1A-A1A wheel arrangement.
A patented Dynamic Weight Management System automatically transfers weight from the unpowered to powered axles to maximise performance when starting, on gradients and during adverse environmental conditions. It operates only at low speeds, and is expected to redistribute axle weight for less than 5% of the total operating time.
Compared to 30-year and older 3 000 hp DC locomotives, ES44C4 uses up to 17% less fuel and reduces emissions by approximately 70%'.
I wonder which livery they will debut in? Waiting for the FEC livery photos. :)
 #1246844  by MEC407

Are there any significant grades on the FEC?
 #1246871  by Noel Weaver

MEC407 wrote:Are there any significant grades on the FEC?
Basically no, there are some dips and rises like most other railroads but no major problem areas. They want locomotives that will move trains fast, use less fuel and not break down nearly as frequently as the SD-70's have a habit of doing. I actually watched a video of one of the 140's go into "orbit" going through Boca Raton at 60 MPH, it put the train in emergency when it died and created a bad night for the railroad.
Noel Weaver
 #1246875  by MEC407

I hope these units will work out well for them. I've heard a few mixed reviews of the C4 model, but BNSF keeps going back for more of them, so they can't be all that bad.
 #1247163  by MEC407

MEC407 wrote:I hope these units will work out well for them. I've heard a few mixed reviews of the C4 model, but BNSF keeps going back for more of them, so they can't be all that bad.
A BNSF engineer posted a message on LocoNotes today stating that he likes the C4s and that they perform well in the types of service they're intended for.
 #1249593  by Noel Weaver

The new GE's will be painted in the "Champion" scheme. The leased units that are scheduled to arrive very soon will be painted in some other scheme as they will only be temporary residents of South Florida. This information has been released to the Trains Magazine newsline website.
Noel Weaver
 #1249779  by Noel Weaver

The photo of 703 is correct. Mr Hertwig likes that color scheme and he makes the decisions. No word yet on what numbers these locomotives will carry. Mr. Hertwig also wants that paint scheme referred to as the "Champion" scheme so that is what FEC people use to describe the paint and that is what I will use on here and any other place that I post Florida East Coast information.
Noel Weaver
 #1249845  by MEC407

More information on the origin of the "Champion" name/paint scheme can be found here: http://streamlinermemories.info/?p=2380" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
 #1256515  by Noel Weaver

Word today is that the FEC will not get leased locomotives from GE, just the new ones which will come later in this year. I suspect we will see more trains in time, more locomotives, more engineers (in training now) and expanded facilities (several sections of additional mainline track and siding extensions). I think the railroad has a very exciting future.
Noel Weaver
 #1293185  by MEC407

They're going to look spectacular in the Champion-style paint scheme.
 #1293412  by Noel Weaver

MEC407 wrote:They're going to look spectacular in the Champion-style paint scheme.
YES!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!
Incidentally the word is now that the first of these locomotives are expected to arrive sometime in late October.
Noel Weaver
 #1297079  by Noel Weaver

Somebody at GE remarked recently that the new FEC Locomotives will be the best looking to ever leave there. Incidentally the new GE's will start to arrive later this month and the delivery should wind up in December. Just heard that they will be numbered 800 - 823.
Noel Weaver