Railroad Forums 

• CSX Northern Branch

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1351383  by rscott417

I've been cruising around the NB on Bing trying to spot signs of old spurs and buildings that were once rail served. I've seen about a dozen and trying to cross reference with old maps and photos online. On RR picture archive.com you can look at pictures in specific towns so I clicked on Tenafly and saw these 2 pictures...
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2590182" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
http://www.rrpicturearchives.net/showPi ... id=2857640" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
Does any one know where this siding/spur was located and where it went? I'm thinking it was located south of the station and went into what is now the parking lot of the Clinton Inn, anyone have any info?
 #1351418  by RichM

I think, but I'm not sure, that this is the siding that served the ink facility about 3/4 mile north of Clinton Ave. The Clinton Inn's "new" building predates Conrail.
 #1351421  by mackdave

It looks like the Penetone siding (they made paint too), just south of Benjamin Bros. I think the location is a Condo Development today.

Dave Mackay
 #1351424  by RichM

Thanks Dave, I couldn't remember the name of the place. That's the location!

The tank cars in one of the photos are the tip-offs too. As far as I remember, that was one of the few diverging sidings north of Englewood, may be the only one that crossed a public road.

Rich
 #1351535  by rscott417

Thanks for the response guys. I did a search for Penetone in Tenafly and says the address was 50 Hudson Ave. Is it correct to think the siding crossed Piermont Rd and came in where the TD Bank is now?
 #1351623  by RichM

I'm stretching my memory... I grew up about 10 miles away but it's been 35 years since I moved away. The siding crossed Piermont as the photos show and roughly ran parallel to Hudson about 200 yards south. The tracks ended about halfway between Piermont and County Roads. Others may know better.

I believe there was another switch within the facility creating two filling/discharge sidings. In the '60's the place was jumping, there were always 5-6 tank cars there. The place occupied most of the land between Hudson and Prospect, from Piermont to about 200 ft of County Road. Frontage properties on County Road were owned by others.
 #1351654  by rscott417

Thanks again Rich. There are no visible signs of a siding there with Google or Bing, I wonder how many others there were that are completely unnoticeable now.
 #1351694  by RichM

There's an older thread here someplace, maybe on the NY Forum, about customers along the line. The coolest was the pocket siding in Closter, just north of the station but on the east side of the tracks. Used to receive granite for headstones, etc. Tight clearances on both sides.

It's identified on some of the old track maps, I think it got pulled out in the mid-60's.

Amazing how much boxcar and lumber business there was all the way to Piermont... all gone...
 #1351775  by kamerad47

CSX had a derailment on this line 10/6 /15 around noon 3 tank cars jumped the tracks near Englewood !!!!!! Poor mantaince on this line CSX alreaady has alot of heat from the oil trains passing thru on the river line !!!!!!!
 #1351844  by rscott417

It was Monday, I posted the link above yesterday. It's almost frustrating to see what the line has become, I don't understand why they don't maintain it and try to get more business.
 #1351898  by Backshophoss

For industrial trackage,both CR and CSX spend very little $$ on maintaince,spot repairs at best,
maybe a run of gauge holding ties due to the tank cars.
CSX thinks this branch has short life span left,for now.
 #1351995  by rscott417

Backshophoss wrote:...CSX thinks this branch has short life span left,for now.
All their doing.
 #1352024  by SemperFidelis

I would imagine the flight of heavy industry from the States, and the northeast in particular, has more than a little to do with it as well.