Railroad Forums 

• Newburgh Industrial Track

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#879156  by csxjs

Is the Newburgh Industrial track in Newburgh, NY still in use?
 #888359  by AMK0123

I was over in Newburgh last week. Looks like CSX is now servicing Ray's railroad materials, (not 100% sure of the exact name). Their siding had 8-9 gondolas in it. I was also hearing the CSX local, C712 serving the line almost every Sunday during the fall. Usually would go onto the Industrial branch in early afternoon and would comeback onto the main in about 1-2 hours. If I see or hear anything further I'll keep you up to date.
 #1008922  by AMK0123

Heard on Monday C711 operating on the Newburgh Industrial so I took a ride over to check out the line. Looks like CSX continues to serve Ray's railroad materials (old lumber yard) on a regular basis and had just dropped off 10 gondolas on the siding. Had never checked the line past there but had sometime to kill so I continued down the line all the way to the end at Tarkett Dr Industrial complex. Was wondering if anyone knew the following answers to my questions... When was the last time the Tarkett Industrial park was served by rail and some of the more recent customers that used to be served on the line? Also, it seems that the relay box at the industrial park and route 94 is new (shiny silver with no marks or graffiti)and the private street across the way has new stop signs with private rr crossing and CSX signs on it. Has CSX recently replaced this, and do they maintain all the other crossing signals. Looks like the line is still in decent shape and was wondering if Orange County or CSX is trying to do anything to get increased customers for the line. If not it seems like a waste of money and tax dollars for CSX to keep maintaining the entire stretch of the line from Ray's (there only current customer) several miles all the way to Vails Gate.
 #1035733  by AMK0123

Had heard about a month ago on another website of a minor derailment on the Industrial track. Hadn't heard any traffic going on there since until today. This afternoon the Kingston local (C712) operated over the industrial track to service Ray's. C712 operated with GP40-2 6071 and GP38-2 2610. Dropped 4 empty gondolas.
 #1223077  by AMK0123

Checked on CSX's only current customer on the Newburgh Industrial today (Ray's Railroad Materials). There were 4 empty gondolas placed on the siding inside there fence and it looks like they've had there siding reballasted and had numerous ties replaced. It also looks they've had a new switch installed on there siding and the ground has been prepped (excavator and bulldozer still on scene) to have an additional siding added along the outside length of there fence. It also looked like there was new ballast at certain spots along the Industrial track. Don't know if CSX has been doing tie replacement / reballasting on whole line or just in that area, but it looks like a good sign that there will be increased rail activity on the industrial track in the future...
 #1223197  by RussNelson

In case anybody doesn't know, this is the Newburgh Industrial Track: http://www.openstreetmap.org/browse/relation/3283260" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;
I didn't include the siding into Ray's nor the disused section that used to go out to the industrials, and now only goes out behind the apartments on Lake Drive.

Anybody else ever noticed the structures over Quassaic Creek just east of Lake Street? They look like mills, built over the river. It's *possible* that they had railroad service from the siding to the south.
 #1442825  by David Hutchinson

An eyewitness that I know ( he has a business about 50 feet from the track ) said that equipment came through and trimmed the trees along the right of while..... he also states that trains are now coming by down to Tarkett. He said something "new" was going on down there. He is not a railroad person, but said that one of the trains he saw had an empty flat car with wire dangling off it.... centerbeam lumber car?
 #1442929  by AMK0123

The track you are referring to is the Newburgh Industrial track (ex-Erie newburgh branch). I was by there today. The lines only active freight customer is Ray's railroad materials. I'm drawing a blank on the road name but right near the New Windsor / Newburgh line. I usually drive by when I go fan the River Line. There has been a decrease of cars coming to them in the last couple of months. Today there was two scrap cars located there. They had installed a new siding just outside the yard however, I have yet to see anything located on it. The line up to Rays was over grown and looking at the dirt going across the rails at the crossing just north of there, nothing has gone over there in quiet a while. I assume this brush clearing was just yearly/ bi-yearly maintenance, maybe a hi rail vehicle or two. Its at least a couple more miles to get down to Tarkett at the end of the line. However, if you hear of any new customers for the industrial track please pass along. Any new customers are a good thing however, with current management I highly doubt it...
 #1446524  by NaugyRR

Hey guys,

I was in New Windsor, NY over the weekend and crossed a set of tracks on Union Avenue. I Google mapped it in satellite view and it looks like a branch off of the River Line, splitting off in Newburgh. The only sign of life I saw was a few carloads of scrap near the start of the branch.

Are these tracks still used by CSX?

Thanks everyone!
 #1446552  by Noel Weaver

I think what you saw was the remains of the Erie Newburgh Branch. Conrail did not take this line but there was some business on the Newburgh end and in order to service those customers they restored the connection with the River Line, used that to provide service at that end of the branch and the remainder remained with the Erie Lackawanna estate and was abandoned and torn up. These changes occurred at the start of Conrail in 1976.
Noel Weaver