Railroad Forums 

• CSX Orange Juice train Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1108452  by frrc

FatNoah wrote:A friend posted this on Facebook, not sure if it's been posted here before:
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=sb8mk2HSJUc

Florida to New Jersey in 156 Seconds (GE Juice Train)
Nice video. What's with the USB Thumb drive being inserted into the locomotive console about in the video? Or maybe it's a key ?

j
 #1108700  by mmi16

Conrail Blue wrote:I saw the juice train this morning in Clark NJ going east. Where is its destination? Also how often do the juice trains come to NJ ?
Tropicana facility in Greenville, NJ is the East Coast destination. Origin is Bradenton, FL. Normally runs 5 days per week.
 #1108753  by ctclark1

frrc wrote:Nice video. What's with the USB Thumb drive being inserted into the locomotive console about in the video? Or maybe it's a key ?
Look at the annotation as they put it in "Onboard performance data recorded every 5 seconds" So that would tell me that's how they're collecting that performance data like speed, temperature, fuel usage, etc...
 #1110718  by ctclark1

The video above states at 1:17 that the train runs 5 times per week to Jersey City. According to Wikipedia it also runs another 5 trains per week to Cincinatti and an unspecified number to California, though I would doubt these are powered by CSX the entire way, as they undoubtedly run over NS lines at some point to Cincinatti as well as UP or BSNF to California.

The video shows evidence of at least 3 consists on the Jersey route, including the one on which the video is taken. The second can be seen at 49 seconds returning to Florida and a third at the unloading facility in Jersey City at 2:12.
 #1111806  by mmi16

ctclark1 wrote:The video above states at 1:17 that the train runs 5 times per week to Jersey City. According to Wikipedia it also runs another 5 trains per week to Cincinatti and an unspecified number to California, though I would doubt these are powered by CSX the entire way, as they undoubtedly run over NS lines at some point to Cincinatti as well as UP or BSNF to California.

The video shows evidence of at least 3 consists on the Jersey route, including the one on which the video is taken. The second can be seen at 49 seconds returning to Florida and a third at the unloading facility in Jersey City at 2:12.
Cincinnati route is all CSX. Route to California is UP beyond New Orleans. The Cincinnati and California business has yet to reach train load volume - it is currently on the order of 10-15 cars per shipment. Train operates as Q740 from Bradenton to Jacksonville and Q140 from Jacksonville to Greenville, NJ. Empties return on Q141 to Jacksonville and Q741 back to Bradenton. The shipments to California and Cincinnati are moved on existing intermodal schedules to those locations.
 #1132396  by Farringdon

I live in the central Philadelphia area and I have been monitoring CSX traffic on the Philadelphia Sub (and whatever I can get from the Trenton Sub) with a scanner for the past three years. For all of that time, the Juice train has been designated Q740/Q741 and the Q741 (Florida bound) was the only one that also carried IMs. The first time I heard the designation "Q140" (and, heading back to Florida, Q141) was about two days after Sandy when I heard an eastbound Q140 approaching Philadelphia from the south. At the time, I assumed it was a special or hybrid train put together to keep traffic moving to North Jersey after the storm. However, the designation has stayed the same and I haven't heard Q740/741 on the radio since then. Also, I have seen at least one Q140 that had some IMs on it.

I was just wondering if mmi176 or anybody else had some information on the train number change. I know that, per other discussions on train-number changes (http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=84975), there is not a "reason," per se, that CSX changes the numbers, they just do. But like I said, I've been listening on the radio for years and it was always Q740; all of the railfan websites and The Bullsheet (when it was around), corroborated that. So I am curious to any changes with the train, like the addition of EB intermodals. Also, it seems to me that the Jersey-bound (Q740/Q140) trains has changed its schedule and comes through the Philadelphia region much later than it has been doing for the past several years. I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or information.

Thank you.
 #1136212  by mmi16

Farringdon wrote:I live in the central Philadelphia area and I have been monitoring CSX traffic on the Philadelphia Sub (and whatever I can get from the Trenton Sub) with a scanner for the past three years. For all of that time, the Juice train has been designated Q740/Q741 and the Q741 (Florida bound) was the only one that also carried IMs. The first time I heard the designation "Q140" (and, heading back to Florida, Q141) was about two days after Sandy when I heard an eastbound Q140 approaching Philadelphia from the south. At the time, I assumed it was a special or hybrid train put together to keep traffic moving to North Jersey after the storm. However, the designation has stayed the same and I haven't heard Q740/741 on the radio since then. Also, I have seen at least one Q140 that had some IMs on it.

I was just wondering if mmi176 or anybody else had some information on the train number change. I know that, per other discussions on train-number changes (http://railroad.net/forums/viewtopic.php?f=53&t=84975), there is not a "reason," per se, that CSX changes the numbers, they just do. But like I said, I've been listening on the radio for years and it was always Q740; all of the railfan websites and The Bullsheet (when it was around), corroborated that. So I am curious to any changes with the train, like the addition of EB intermodals. Also, it seems to me that the Jersey-bound (Q740/Q140) trains has changed its schedule and comes through the Philadelphia region much later than it has been doing for the past several years. I was just wondering if anybody had any thoughts or information.

Thank you.
Between Bradenton & Jacksonville - the train is ALL juice related (Loads & emptys) and operates as Q740 & Q741. From Jacksonville to Jersey, in addition to the Juice cars, the train handles Intermodal traffic and is given the Intermodal designation of Q140 & Q141, except one day a week the Southbound train is designaed Q121 - If I knew the answer to that question I would be higher up the totem pole.