Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#921900  by airman00

I saw a move on the river line today in Harrington Park New Jersey, that had four engines and then the train. What makes that interesting was that while the first 3 loco's were CSX, the 4th loco was a GATX locomotive group engine. Not sure what kind but clearly a leased unit.
 #925170  by AMK0123

CSX has continued to run coal trains periodically into one of the power plants at Roseton, New York. Was out railfanning yesterday (4/23) and heard a train crew in the Roseton yard switching cars. Around 1600 hrs the train was north on the River line and after having to stop and check over their train after alerting off the Hercules hotbox detector the train outlawed in the Kingston yard. Train was running as E-479 with CSXT engines 60 and 43. After E-479 pulled into the Kingston yard I observed three southbound and one northbound trains in a row, Q-409 with 5346 and 8711, S-433 with 5109 and 558, Q-433 with 468 and 7895, and N/B Q-418 with 5118 and 566.
 #925670  by airman00

I saw a rather small train for river line today, (monday april 25th about midday) just 2 engines and about 20 cars. I was curious why so small? Was that some kind of local? (although I heard locals don't run until night) I saw it pass through harrington park, NJ heading... up north?
 #925911  by AMK0123

Can you be more specific? Usually CSX runs GP38-2's on their locals or was it something larger. And what type of cars? Could it have been a work train...
 #926019  by airman00

AMK0123 wrote:Can you be more specific? Usually CSX runs GP38-2's on their locals or was it something larger. And what type of cars? Could it have been a work train...
It was 2 big road engines. And most of the cars were boxcars, a couple of empty lumber spines and maybe a tanker car also. Was definately a small train for the river line.
 #926182  by AMK0123

Most of the Q400's (mixed freights) run 7 days a week. Possibly just running with a few cars or could have been an extra train (ie- S-400). Have seen this especially on Sundays withvCSX running a Q-433 and a S-433. Also, CSX locals operate mainly during the day. They usually start off switching cars in Kingston and then head either north (C711) or south (C712).
 #931074  by airman00

I was working right next to the river line today for a good part of the day and there was quite a bit of action. (thursday may 12 2011 in harrington park, NJ) Several freights went by in the morning and one had 4 engines with an old conrail blue engine leading. Another freight had just 2 engines but the second was a CITX unit. And the citx unit was shiny like brand new or perhaps just out of the shops. In the afternoon just saw one freight, however just before we left, I saw a CSX pick-up truck on rails go by, followed by a large yellow box-type truck, with the word SPERRY written on it. It was big and looked like a ford f-750. I believe they call that a sperry rail truck? Anyway a busy day on the river line. :)
 #931468  by AMK0123

CSX road foreman and SPERRY rail car have been working there way south over the River line inspecting the main and controlled sidings over the past week. They were working in Newburgh on Tuesday.
 #938409  by Jonathan R McCann

Hello, I railfan Ridgefield Park a lot more now and I was just curious if CSX (since the yards are so close) hires 17/18 yr olds to get the cars off the autoracks? because im looking for a part time job and my dad used to do that for Conrail.
 #938433  by Rockingham Racer

Jonathan R McCann wrote:Hello, I railfan Ridgefield Park a lot more now and I was just curious if CSX (since the yards are so close) hires 17/18 yr olds to get the cars off the autoracks? because im looking for a part time job and my dad used to do that for Conrail.
You might get more answers if you put your question on the Employment Forum.
 #950406  by waldwickrailfan

Jonathan R McCann wrote:The NYS&W just got some leasers including 2 SD40-2 CEFX's and I hear theyre getting a GP38-2 HLCX unit too.
actually CSX delivered that GP38-2 HLCX unit by accident. it got traded for a GP40-2 .
 #958102  by airman00

saw something interesting on the river line today, (thursday august 4, 2011), a Norfolk Southern engine leading a freight train with 3 engines, 1 NS and 2 CSX.
 #958193  by AMK0123

Saw the same train traveling southbound through the defect detector at Orangeburg, NY today. That would be the Q-118 (Bedford Park to South Kearny, NJ / WED thru SAT, intermodal). I believe it may also do a drop in Little Ferry yard as well. I know it had in the past... I liked the NS leader. Have seen several NS units as of late including an all NS lashup on an ethanol train acouple of weeks ago. Another point of interest, CSX has a rail grinder making it's way north on the line. It was near milepost 26 today and was heading north toward CP33 as of this evening.