Railroad Forums 

• CSX River Line Status Updates

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#833476  by num1hendrickfan

AMK0123 wrote:Crane might have been just one part of numerous MoW equipment that has been working on the River line as of late.
Saw CSX MoW equipment up around Poughkeepsie yesterday afternoon, was quite interesting seeing anywhere between 10-30 units crawl their northward ( especially from atop Poughkeepsie Bridge ). Can view some of the shots of the equipment here http://smg.photobucket.com/albums/v102/ ... n%20River/ .
Sadly didn't see any freight, but I'm sure there will be other times.
 #834776  by airman00

I saw all those MOW equipment units, it seemed like 30 or so units. They were up around catskill, NY. (I was visiting relatives) And saw a freight move by real slow. One of the units was an interesting one on the freight consist. There was 5 engines and 4 were csx and a 5th unit was a guiliford rail system gp-9. Didn't catch the number. But it was in an area right before where there is like 5+ tracks that split off the river line and all go to the various cement companies and such up there.
 #835029  by roadster

I think that Guilford GP9 was actual the 378, a high nose former NS GP40. It and 2 standard nose bretheren have been hanging around Selkirk and the Mohawk for the past month, repaying horse power hours. I saw it tied to other CSX engines at Selkirks Service area around 3am this morning. I know CSX has been rerouting a R409 and R410 via the Mohawk, Buffalo, points West, then back through Cumberland, to get to/from "Jersey" as curfew trains.
 #856611  by blocksignal

Good afternoon I would like to know what thru freight trains run Westbound from Little Ferry & Eastbound to Little Ferry, What days they typically run, and what general times they usually run? Also starting from Little Ferry/Ridgefield Park going Westbound what towns does the doubletrack main run through? Thanks.
 #864242  by AMK0123

Ran up the northern end of the river line yesterday. Got to Kingston yard just in time to catch the Q-417 dropping off cars for the yard and departing south with three standard cab units. Lead by CSX 7636 (C40-8), 8718 (SD60) and 8855 (SD40-2). CSX GP38-2's 2714 and 2771 were switching the yard before they ran north as C711. One other GP38-2 in YN2 was in the yard but I couldn't catch the number. Continued north and saw MOW was operating near Coxsakie. Between that and a Sperry car working down the from Esopus made for a rather slow day on the line.
 #882772  by AMK0123

Had a chance to railfan the River line the past two afternoons. Yesterday (Sunday) was rather slow. Observed the Q-116 southbound through the Kingston yard. Then got the S-439 southbound through West park. Then got down to Milton for the Q-118 followed by the Q-439. Standard wide cab GE units on all of the trains. The one exception was the Q-439 which had CSXT engine 4843 (SD70ace) on point with an SD70mac trailing.
Today got out around 1:00 p.m. and drove to Newburgh. Riverline had been quiet for several hours after a northbound Q-410 in the morning due to MOW cutting a section of rail out just north of CP55 (Newburgh). Heard several different MOW foreman also in the area along with a Sperry car that has spent the last week working north on the line and is now north of Kingston. Finally just after 1p.m. MOW cleared up and a rather short Q-434 (CSXT 4818 & CSXT 7685) went northbound. I followed the Q-434 north up to Kingston where it met the southbound Q-439. I then hung around near the Kingston yard and saw a southbound Q-156 (CSXT 5217, CSXT 5467 & CSXT 8124). The Kingston yard had a long line of loaded coal hoppers (a mix of CSX and Conrail) along with numerous boxcars, tank cars, and covered hoppers. CSXT engine 2714 which I've seen on and off for over a year now on the local was parked on the south end of the yard. To my surprise however I heard the C711 Kingston local coming back south into the yard and saw them lite engines passing CP90. The surprise was the C711 was comprised of 2 GP40-2's (CSXT engines 6221 & 6210). I have been up to Kingston several times over the past few years and have caught the C712 numerous times south on the river line and this was the first time I have seen 2 GP40-2 instead of the usual GP38-2's. After seeing the local I started by drive back down the line. I was able to see the K-684 southbound through the Kingston yard followed by the Q-433. Lastly, the Q-418 followed by another K train northbound. All in all not a bad two days on the River Line.
 #882822  by airman00

How often, (if at all), might you get to see a switcher up around those parts. Be it an SW or a Genset.
 #882955  by AMK0123

Personally, due to my job on the east side of the Hudson River I can look across and catch River line action quite often. I haven't seen any gensets other than when I've visited Selkirk yard or when I've been working overnights and have seen the Genset's that are assigned out of the Bronx on the Q-431 / Q-430 on the Hudson line. As far as the SW's, I've seen a few over the years usually trailing as the thrid or fourth unit on mixed freights enroute to Selkirk. I also have never heard or seen any River line local (C711/ C712) being operated with anything other than GP38-2 and now a pair of GP40-2's. However, someone like Roadster, or an actual CSX employee may better answer your question as I'm not an employee, just an observer!
 #885675  by airman00

Today 12/30/10, at 8:00AM, saw an interesting power move. 5 engines and that's all. One was #86, it had the lightning strike design right under the number. They were all big road engines, although one may have been a geep but not sure on that. They were going from the bergenfield direction headed toward haworth? (south?) Saw them going thru harrington park. (it was funny because my father was grumbling expecting to see a big long train and it was just a short power move) He doesn't like trains like I do. :)
 #886064  by Train538

airman00 wrote:Today 12/30/10, at 8:00AM, saw an interesting power move. 5 engines and that's all. One was #86, it had the lightning strike design right under the number. They were all big road engines, although one may have been a geep but not sure on that. They were going from the bergenfield direction headed toward haworth? (south?) Saw them going thru harrington park. (it was funny because my father was grumbling expecting to see a big long train and it was just a short power move) He doesn't like trains like I do. :)
In fact, I also saw this equipment move in Iona at 8:52 AM. The locomotives were ES44DC 5306, AC4400CW 86, C40-8Ws 7723 and 7834, and SD60I 8728. So nope, there were no geeps and this move was bound for Selkirk (northbound). The engineer was also friendly enough to blow a shave and a haircut for my railfan friends and I :-D
 #888355  by AMK0123

"Out with the old, in with the new!" Haven't been out on the river line in the past couple of weeks but wanted to let everyone know that as of this past Wednesday the Roseton defect detector has been upgraded, (heard from my scanner). No more "Roseton, New York, No Defects...." Now the new detector has a tone, followed by "CSX equipment defect detector, milepost 61.0, no defects...". Unknow if all the detectors on the river line are being updated or the reasons why but just wanted to let everyone know of the change.
 #894509  by AMK0123

Saw K636 southbound on the River line near West Point around 1200 hrs today with 2 I.C.E units. Was then followed up by a northbound ethanol train around 1p.m. with a BNSF leader and a Ferromex trailing unit. I've been watching the River line for awhile and this was the first time I've seen a Ferromex unit! Was a pleasant surprise on this snowy day....
 #894826  by roadster

In fact CSX is upgrading all of the Detectors on it's former Conrail territory.
 #895572  by csxjs

Hopefully they put a better antenna on the stony point detector because I live at CP43 and cant pick it up because of Dunderberg Mountain
 #920623  by blocksignal

Hi All,

I would like to know when the road trains for the CSX Riverline come through during the week (M -F) as well as on the weekends? Same question regarding the locals? I would like to railfan and take some pics in the NJ area over the next 2 weeks. Also I just want to make sure that I have the river line location correct - It is the double track freight main that parallels NYS&W in Little Ferry, North Bergen on the West side of the Hudson river - correct? Also in that area of New jersey where would the best locations be to railfan and take photographs? Any info, especially regarding times of day, would be most appreciated - thanks.

Blocksignal.