Railroad Forums 

• CSX line through Amsterdam NY

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1437241  by mr buffy

Hi All,

How busy is the CSX line through Amsterdam NY? I am planning to take my kids and watch the trains at the station. Is Sunday's a good day to go? Any tips, as well as other spots around Selkirk NY would be appreciated.

Cheers, Paul
 #1437251  by Noel Weaver

Without a doubt this is probably the busiest freight line in New York State but I don't think Sunday can be as busy as most others. Bring your Amtrak timetable with you too. Please keep your young ones well clear of the tracks at all times and have a safe and good day.
Noel Weaver
 #1437292  by johnpbarlow

If your intent was to take photos, I'd recommend the south side of the Mohawk River at Lock 10 a bit east of Amsterdam for its wide open panoramas and pleasure boat traffic. Train traffic is on the north side of the river there, of course, so kids may not get the same rush from a train passing at speed.
 #1437435  by mr buffy

Thanks for the feedback.

We went this last Sunday, traffic picked up in the afternoon. Good place for the kids who based themselves under the station sign on the grass well back from the track. One of the freights blew both my cameras over due to wind! Was also told a good spot is a playground in the town right next to the track, Lock 10 sounds good as well. The lady who looks after the station was there, very pleasent chat. Definitely worth a return visit next time we do a home trip, we are based in Western Mass.

Cheers, Paul
 #1437992  by ST214

Next time, head west one exit on the NY Thruway and go to Fonda, NY. Sit at the crossing in the center of town. You can sit on the town grass on the south side of the tracks, just across the crossing is a Subway and a Cumberland Farms, so you have everything you need for a full days railfanning right there!