Railroad Forums 

• Selkirk

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1437279  by ccutler

Does EHH have a known track record of fudging numbers?
 #1438203  by docsteve

Going past the hump on Saturday there was a line on gons going over; otherwise, the receiving yard was empty.
 #1438582  by twropr

I've heard that all the interdivisional runthru crews (i.e. Selkirk-Buffalo) have been abolished in favor of short crews (i.e. Sekirk-DeWitt/DeWitt-Buffalo). This implies that there may be pre-blocking going on at the smaller yards so that there will be less switching to do at Selkirk.
Andy
 #1438593  by mmi16

twropr wrote:I've heard that all the interdivisional runthru crews (i.e. Selkirk-Buffalo) have been abolished in favor of short crews (i.e. Sekirk-DeWitt/DeWitt-Buffalo). This implies that there may be pre-blocking going on at the smaller yards so that there will be less switching to do at Selkirk.
Andy
Thus slowing down overall transit times.
 #1442800  by Noel Weaver

I understand they have returned to humping cars at Selkirk again. I am not sure whether it is a 24/7 operation or limited to certain tricks. I have a good friend who lives within a short distance of the hump and he has seen and heard the hump in operation and has heard them on the radio as well. I hope it is back to stay. Who knows???
Noel Weaver
 #1442801  by ccutler

That's good news! Imagine that...hump yards actually increase productivity! So much for "precision" in precision railroading.
 #1442886  by Ironman

Selkirk hump was never actually closed. It came close, they even put new switches in at the west end of the receiving yard for flat switching, but it never happened. It's been humping 3 tricks a day just like normal since HH took over.
 #1447200  by AmtrakLocomotiveEngineer

Ironman wrote:Selkirk hump was never actually closed. It came close, they even put new switches in at the west end of the receiving yard for flat switching, but it never happened. It's been humping 3 tricks a day just like normal since HH took over.
Still RCO or conventional crews?
 #1447634  by Ironman

They went to conventional pullers on 1st shift for a time, but now it's back to all RCO except for the port job and the industry job.