Railroad Forums 

• Buffalo Frontier Yard is getting busier.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1427082  by tzh21y

I have noticed in the past year that freight activity at Frontier yard is increasing compared to a few years ago. I would say that 3 years ago their was virtually no activity at the yard and thought that CSX may be closing the yard. Now I am beginning to wonder if they will start using the hump again. Just an observation. I drove over the harlem road bridge yesterday and the yard was pretty full. Much more so than I have seen in years.
 #1427136  by mmi16

A full yard is not indicative of a fully fluid operation. A empty yard is not a good indication either. The ideal is to be departing trains and thus clearing track shortly before arriving trains and their switching fills the tracks again.
 #1428089  by adamj023

CSX is adding intermodal rail from Memphis, TN to Buffalo, NY in June amongst other addifional routes so the Yard is likely to get even busier.

Economic progress in Buffalo area is occuring requiring materials to be shipped to the region via rail and CSX can do it cost efficiently.
 #1428131  by johnpbarlow

adamj023 wrote:CSX is adding intermodal rail from Memphis, TN to Buffalo, NY in June amongst other addifional routes so the Yard is likely to get even busier.

Economic progress in Buffalo area is occuring requiring materials to be shipped to the region via rail and CSX can do it cost efficiently.
Isn't the CSX intermodal terminal in Buffalo at Seneca Yard in Blasdell, a few miles southwest of Frontier Yard?