• CSX using NY&A units in Oak Point.

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

by wintower

Backshop, any reason why CSX is using NY&A units in Oak Point?
  by Backshophoss

Only idea is a delivery of the second batch of new units to NY&A instead of "floating" them over from NJ.
or a demonstration run by that loco's manufacturer from Fremont/Fresh Pond.
If memory serves,NJNY flat spotted some engines sent to NY&A a while back.......
  by wintower

...3 went from O.P. to Fremont but only 2 returned to O.P. Thanks for the quick reply.
  by Backshophoss

Wonder if CSX is thinking of selling off the rest of the Bay Ridge Secondary to the MTA/LIRR and letting NY&A make the interchange
location Oak Point??
  by wintower

...the train operated O.P. to Fremont with 5 engines, 2 CSX and 3 NY&A which were leading, and
70 cars. Returning with 4 engines, 2CSX which were leading and 2 NY&A, and 60 cars. The 2 NY&A which made the round trip, appeared to be shiny but from my "perch" which is faraway that is not a reliable observation.
  by Uncle Cheapo

You guys are both way off on your reasons. But yes the NYA did assist CSX today.
  by wintower

Uncle Cheapo wrote:You guys are both way off on your reasons. But yes the NYA did assist CSX today.
I did not submit a reason and it was yesterday.
  by DogBert

I'll bet a nickel csx was short on power. Were the 2 csx engines 4 axles?

If one or more 6 axle had trouble coming down the hudson the night before, that could cram the options available at oak point. Two 4 axles (the usual oak point local power) wouldn't be enough on that run these days.

This wouldn't be the first time this happened. After hurricane Sandy CSX borrowed 3 for a night-time run over the bridge. Extremely rare event though, that's for sure.
  by freightguy

Think it had to do with them dropping rail in oak point and logistics and not being able to get around in there. They pulled a knuckle last night 11/20-11/21 and had to leave a train in Beacon outlawed on Metro North.
  by ccutler

Outlawing a freight train on a passenger line....not good.
I usually see what appears to be plenty of power in Oak Point Yard, so they must have had a few mishaps if they had to borrow power.
  by freightguy

Outlawing a freight train on a passenger line....not good.
I usually see what appears to be plenty of power in Oak Point Yard, so they must have had a few mishaps if they had to borrow power.

Track 3 at Beacon, NY on Metro North is kinda CSX storage home away from home. Doesn't really effect service it's that or Croton West or all the way to Bronx. I think track 6 at Spuyten Duyvil is also a backup plan, but I've never seen a CSX freight in there. Tonight there appeared to be an extra run of all the track equipment on flat cars from Oak Point with some gons for Selkirk I suppose.