Railroad Forums 

• Engines Qualified for Metro North Operations

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1320487  by AMK0123

Was wondering if anyone had an exact list of all the engines that are currently qualified to run in Metro North territories. I know all are of ex-Conrail heritage but is it just limited to a few SD40-2, SD60m, GP38-2 and GP40-2? I know the GP40-2 have been absent for the most part until recently with one popping up in Oak Point. Reason why I bring this up is a came across this picture, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 21&nseq=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as you can see it's an ex-Conrail SD60 with the plow cut and the signature yellow around the plow. I've caught many trains over the years going up and down the Hudson line and can say I've never seen a standard cab SD60....
 #1321113  by F-line to Dudley via Park

AMK0123 wrote:Was wondering if anyone had an exact list of all the engines that are currently qualified to run in Metro North territories. I know all are of ex-Conrail heritage but is it just limited to a few SD40-2, SD60m, GP38-2 and GP40-2? I know the GP40-2 have been absent for the most part until recently with one popping up in Oak Point. Reason why I bring this up is a came across this picture, http://www.railpictures.net/viewphoto.p ... 21&nseq=14" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false; as you can see it's an ex-Conrail SD60 with the plow cut and the signature yellow around the plow. I've caught many trains over the years going up and down the Hudson line and can say I've never seen a standard cab SD60....
They have no shortage of cab signaled engines based out of Selkirk since everything east into Massachusetts is near-100% cab signal territory and south on both sides of the Hudson intersects with cabs at some point. MNRR doesn't like six-axles on the New Haven Line bridges, but that hits P&W's stone trains harder than it does CSX's rather meager locals. Also no shortage of ACSES-equipped units since they run on a stretch of NEC in Massachusetts for the jobs based out of Framingham, and ever since Beacon Park's closure the power has been rotated out of Selkirk...meaning they have available PTC-equipped power (in to-be increasing numbers) when the Metro North ACSES installations currently in-design get deployed.

If there's new stuff showing up down the Hudson in the last year or so that wasn't seen before it may be related to the Boston Division's switch from home-based power to Selkirk-rotated power making the assignments more fluid than they were before.
 #1322357  by AMK0123

RearOfSignal wrote:I think he means engines with plows cut for operation in MNR third rail territory, not cab signal equipment.
Yes, I was wondering if someone had a list of the GP40-2, GP38-2, SD40-2, SD60M's and anything else that maybe qualified for Metro North operations. For example I know SD60M's are I believe, numbers 8757 through 8768. SD40-2 88**, etc.
 #1322925  by DogBert

Those SD60 numbers sound accurate. the 40-2 are (so far as I know) more or less all still-running units #8830-8851 (I recall seeing 8847 in a photo on a scrap line)

Also there's the gensets I believe 1300-1306.

GP38-2's are random numbers. I'd have to look through old photos. 2717, 2804 come to mind.