Railroad Forums 

• CSX Disptach

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1303699  by bcgfdc3

Can anyone tell me about the tests you have to take to be a CSX dispatcher. It says you need a 90% to pass.
 #1310092  by railgirl

I believe it is talking about a 90% on the operating rules test that you would take after being at the REDI center for several weeks.
 #1310966  by AMK0123

Can't answer for all of the areas but the Albany Division is dispatched out of Selkirk yard. In your area of New Jersey you probably hear the NI dispatcher (former NJ dispatcher) NI controls the Port of Albany line from CP-SK to Kenwood Yard (Canadian Pacific), River line from CP-SK all the way into New Jersey (N. Bergen yard) were it turns over to the Conrail disp. From there the NI picks up the Trenton Line all the way to Philadelphia. Other desks out of Selkirk are the NA, NB, NC,ND, NF, and NG.
 #1310985  by spatcher

CSX's dispatching offices are located Chicago, Indy, Selkirk, Baltimore, Cincinnati, Nashville, Florence, Atlanta, Huntington, and Jacksonville.

It has been a long time since I had my interview, however I think the OP's questions are about tests that are given during the interview, not the rules test. From what I remember there was a math test, and two reading comprehension tests. I don't really remember much about them, however I do remember that over half of the people that took them did not pass them when I took mine.
 #1311067  by NaDspr

AMK0123 wrote:Can't answer for all of the areas but the Albany Division is dispatched out of Selkirk yard. In your area of New Jersey you probably hear the NI dispatcher (former NJ dispatcher) NI controls the Port of Albany line from CP-SK to Kenwood Yard (Canadian Pacific), River line from CP-SK all the way into New Jersey (N. Bergen yard) were it turns over to the Conrail disp. From there the NI picks up the Trenton Line all the way to Philadelphia. Other desks out of Selkirk are the NA, NB, NC,ND, NF, and NG.
The NA Dispatcher desk was abolished in Sept 2013 when MBCR took over the Boston - Worcester. MA segment from CSX. The remaining trackage formerly controlled by the NA Dispatcher (Boston Line CP45 to CP92 plus Fitchburg, Framingham and Middleboro lines was added to the NB Dispatcher.

Within the last 10 years, CSX has cut the Selkirk dispatchers office from 4 Assistant Chief Dispatchers and 10 Dispatchers per shift to
1 Assistant Chief and 6 Dispatchers per shift either thru line sales or transfers and desk consolidations.
 #1311134  by AMK0123

NaDspr wrote:
AMK0123 wrote:Can't answer for all of the areas but the Albany Division is dispatched out of Selkirk yard. In your area of New Jersey you probably hear the NI dispatcher (former NJ dispatcher) NI controls the Port of Albany line from CP-SK to Kenwood Yard (Canadian Pacific), River line from CP-SK all the way into New Jersey (N. Bergen yard) were it turns over to the Conrail disp. From there the NI picks up the Trenton Line all the way to Philadelphia. Other desks out of Selkirk are the NA, NB, NC,ND, NF, and NG.
The NA Dispatcher desk was abolished in Sept 2013 when MBCR took over the Boston - Worcester. MA segment from CSX. The remaining trackage formerly controlled by the NA Dispatcher (Boston Line CP45 to CP92 plus Fitchburg, Framingham and Middleboro lines was added to the NB Dispatcher.

Within the last 10 years, CSX has cut the Selkirk dispatchers office from 4 Assistant Chief Dispatchers and 10 Dispatchers per shift to
1 Assistant Chief and 6 Dispatchers per shift either thru line sales or transfers and desk consolidations.
Thanks for the updated info..... So, the only desks that remain at Selkirk are the NB, NC, ND, NF, NG and NI. So that would account for the 6 dispatchers a shift for the six desks? Also, a question, when I hear the dispatcher say he'll ask the chief, I can assume that he would be referring to the chief dispatcher, correct??? And I also assume that the dispatchers are also in contact with the neighboring dispatchers, ie NC with Amtrak, (Hudson line), and NI with Conrail, just to name a few...
 #1384011  by mmi16

AMK0123 wrote:
NaDspr wrote:

Thanks for the updated info..... So, the only desks that remain at Selkirk are the NB, NC, ND, NF, NG and NI. So that would account for the 6 dispatchers a shift for the six desks? Also, a question, when I hear the dispatcher say he'll ask the chief, I can assume that he would be referring to the chief dispatcher, correct??? And I also assume that the dispatchers are also in contact with the neighboring dispatchers, ie NC with Amtrak, (Hudson line), and NI with Conrail, just to name a few...
Surprisingly, there is very little verbal communication that passes between adjoining dispatchers on CSX - each desk has multiple CADS screens for the adjoining territory and can thus view approaching traffic - by lining, or withholding signals on the territory they control they through non-verbal means tell the adjoining dispatcher how to route trains crossing the boundary between territories. The most frequent happening that requires actual verbal communication between dispatchers is when handling MofW track cars and other machinery that move on track car authorities - adjoining dispatchers will be contacted to block off signals as protection for the track car authorities.

In most cases, CSX Dispatchers do not have CADS screens for adjoining foreign line dispatchers territories. Verbal communication will take place for movements over these boundaries, and the foreign dispatchers will also be contacted to provide signal blocking for track car authorities.
 #1384438  by ctclark1

Through studying many ETTs, generally when crossing into foreign territory it seems it is up to the engineers to make contact with the dispatcher in question -- "Before passing [x signal denoting] engineer must contact [foreign road dispatcher on y frequency]" or something along those lines. I highly doubt that they can highball it across these boundaries, but instead are usually waiting for permission.

[afterthought] I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule... CP DRAW would stand out as possibly being one to me, as there are a plethora of foreign roads all vying for space on the bridge, so the CSX dispatcher for that area probably has a little more info about the foreign roads approaching than they might in other areas where these boundaries exist. [/afterthought]
 #1384602  by mmi16

ctclark1 wrote:Through studying many ETTs, generally when crossing into foreign territory it seems it is up to the engineers to make contact with the dispatcher in question -- "Before passing [x signal denoting] engineer must contact [foreign road dispatcher on y frequency]" or something along those lines. I highly doubt that they can highball it across these boundaries, but instead are usually waiting for permission.

[afterthought] I'm sure there are exceptions to the rule... CP DRAW would stand out as possibly being one to me, as there are a plethora of foreign roads all vying for space on the bridge, so the CSX dispatcher for that area probably has a little more info about the foreign roads approaching than they might in other areas where these boundaries exist. [/afterthought]
If the signal is lined for the train - the train is expected to take the signal. Signal Indication is permission to enter and operate on the trackage that the signal protects. Trains entering foreign trackage must have required train messages and up to date general bulletins for the territory they will be operating over, these messages and bulletins are obtained before the crew turns a wheel on their home territory. Adjoining foreign dispatchers will notify each other of the next movement at the junction point, if it is a scheduled train the dispatchers will communicate the exceptions to on time operation.