Railroad Forums 

• Virginia Avenue Tunnel project

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1341090  by docsteve

rr503 wrote:
srepetsk wrote:DC says an average of 23 freight trains cross the Long Bridge every day at 2013-levels, so that's (most likely) the amount going through VAT as well (http://longbridgeproject.com/wp-content ... boards.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Any recommended spots to watch trains?
Nowhere! The place is crawling with police -- all kinds. L'Enfant used to be a good place; guys from the FAA would show-up on their lunch break with scanners, but now anyone with a scanner is a potential terrorist.

But seriously, good luck with the train watching but I wouldn't suggest anywhere from the tunnel west. East of the tunnel you might try the Anacostia River Walk along M Street SE; there's also a piece of the trail along the railroad south of the Anacostia river.

Hope this helps.

S
 #1341110  by rr503

docsteve wrote:
rr503 wrote:
srepetsk wrote:DC says an average of 23 freight trains cross the Long Bridge every day at 2013-levels, so that's (most likely) the amount going through VAT as well (http://longbridgeproject.com/wp-content ... boards.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;).
Any recommended spots to watch trains?
Nowhere! The place is crawling with police -- all kinds. L'Enfant used to be a good place; guys from the FAA would show-up on their lunch break with scanners, but now anyone with a scanner is a potential terrorist.

But seriously, good luck with the train watching but I wouldn't suggest anywhere from the tunnel west. East of the tunnel you might try the Anacostia River Walk along M Street SE; there's also a piece of the trail along the railroad south of the Anacostia river.

Hope this helps.

S
Thanks so much for your help, I really appreciate it!
Would L'Enfant be ok if I don't have a scanner?
I think there might be a feed online...
Otherwise Anacostia River Walk looks great!
Again, thanks!!
 #1341455  by docsteve

rr503 wrote: Would L'Enfant be ok if I don't have a scanner?
My guess is that they are not to hot on plain-old-loitering, but it would certainly draw less attention in the first place, so it's probably a fairly safe try.

Also, I was thinking, about 25 years ago, I had a meeting in a building in which the FAA was renting some space at the southwest end of Maryland Avenue (time flies!). There's a circle there with the tracks emerging from underneath, just as they go across the Tidal Basin and the Potomac: maybe not the best place, but doable. Also, I've taken walks around East Potomac Park (just to the south of the Jefferson Memorial; orientation-wise, just across the river from Washington National Airport) and the tracks go over the trail. I've seen a few trains from there; again, not the best place -- you're kind-of looking up at the train -- but quite doable.
 #1341508  by rr503

docsteve wrote:
rr503 wrote: Would L'Enfant be ok if I don't have a scanner?
My guess is that they are not to hot on plain-old-loitering, but it would certainly draw less attention in the first place, so it's probably a fairly safe try.

Also, I was thinking, about 25 years ago, I had a meeting in a building in which the FAA was renting some space at the southwest end of Maryland Avenue (time flies!). There's a circle there with the tracks emerging from underneath, just as they go across the Tidal Basin and the Potomac: maybe not the best place, but doable. Also, I've taken walks around East Potomac Park (just to the south of the Jefferson Memorial; orientation-wise, just across the river from Washington National Airport) and the tracks go over the trail. I've seen a few trains from there; again, not the best place -- you're kind-of looking up at the train -- but quite doable.
Thanks!
I went to L'enfant yesterdays and caught a csx intermodal and a vre commuter train
Then I had to leave :(
I'll be in that area today, so I may be able to snatch a moment and go see what's going
 #1344686  by srepetsk

August's edition of "Coffee with Chuck" here - http://virginiaavenuetunnel.com/sites/d ... -19-15.pdf" onclick="window.open(this.href);return false;

Lots of good photos of ongoing work:
-Utility Relocation Work, Temporary Fence and Sidewalk and Driveway Installation
-Excavation Pile Installation
-MOT Set-up – Utility Relocation
-Retaining Wall Excavation
 #1351046  by srepetsk

Rockingham Racer wrote:Thanks for the link, but: Who's Chuck? I could find a reference anywhere in the thread.
Chuck Gullakson, CSX assistant vice president – National Gateway, and chief project engineer for the Virginia Avenue Tunnel Project
 #1369300  by Arlington

mmi16 wrote:http://www.virginiaavenuetunnel.com/
Site updates projects that are happening as the construction progresses.
How dependent are the benefits of this tunnel on also getting a new Long Bridge? Is there a good Long Bridge thread around here?
 #1369376  by mmi16

Arlington wrote:
mmi16 wrote:http://www.virginiaavenuetunnel.com/
Site updates projects that are happening as the construction progresses.
How dependent are the benefits of this tunnel on also getting a new Long Bridge? Is there a good Long Bridge thread around here?
Not dependent at all. Long Bridge is currently double track and modifications are/or have been made to allow 20'2" double stacks on it. Virginia Ave. Tunnel, when fully completed will handle the 20'2" stacks on double track tunnels. Initially, one tunnel will be completed and subsequently the 2nd. With the VA Tunnel being 20'2 capable, that will also open up the potential for auto racks to be moved on the route, what potential business this would open up, I have no idea.
 #1369854  by mmi16

Modifications to the Long Bridge were completed in 2014 that will permit it to handle 20'2" stacks.