Railroad Forums 

• Philadelphia Sub Train Question

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1074731  by riffian

An eastbound train, which I believe used the symbol Q782 (??) passed through Perryville, MD today at about 1300. The train was a short one, about 20 cars, consisting mostly of the big 90 foot, hi cube auto parts cars that you don't see much anymore. Most of the cars were old Conrail, a couple of CSX and I thought maybe it was a scrap train, but there were a couple of regular CSX boxcars and a BNSF reefer at the rear. Any idea what this train was?? Thanks for any info.
 #1091152  by mmi16

riffian wrote:An eastbound train, which I believe used the symbol Q782 (??) passed through Perryville, MD today at about 1300. The train was a short one, about 20 cars, consisting mostly of the big 90 foot, hi cube auto parts cars that you don't see much anymore. Most of the cars were old Conrail, a couple of CSX and I thought maybe it was a scrap train, but there were a couple of regular CSX boxcars and a BNSF reefer at the rear. Any idea what this train was?? Thanks for any info.
That hour of the day it was most likely a very late D732 that comes out of Baltimore with traffic for the GE Plant at Perryville. The train sets the inbount GE cars off in the Belvedere Storage track and picks up GE's outbound from the same track and returns to Baltimore. Normal on duty time for this train in Baltimore is 0300. I can be late for a variety of reasons.
 #1096942  by riffian

Thanks very much.....I'm sure that D732 is the train I saw. I had no idea that there was a GE plant in Perryville (I thought I was pretty familiar with the area), nor that those hi-cube auto parts cars were still in use. I was under the impression that the only active customer between Havre de Grace and Newark was the mill just north of Elkton, (Childs?) MD.
 #1096987  by mmi16

riffian wrote:Thanks very much.....I'm sure that D732 is the train I saw. I had no idea that there was a GE plant in Perryville (I thought I was pretty familiar with the area), nor that those hi-cube auto parts cars were still in use. I was under the impression that the only active customer between Havre de Grace and Newark was the mill just north of Elkton, (Childs?) MD.
GE relocated their facility from Belcamp, MD to Perryville approximately 5 years or more ago. I suspect, without knowing, that this facility is a distribution center for them - receiving product in rail car load quantities and send it out to retail outlets in truck load quantities.