Railroad Forums 

• CSX Freight Into Boston Now

• Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.
Discussion of the operations of CSX Transportation, from 1980 to the present. Official site can be found here: CSXT.COM.

Moderator: MBTA F40PH-2C 1050

#1240268  by kt9797

Know this be a bit off topic but couldnt find a thread that delt with CSX's Framingham ops specificaly. I noticed over the past few months of taking the T into Framingham that there are High side gondolas loaded with "scap" or "Trash" in groups of 6 to 10 on tracks in both yards there. Some have Pioneer Valley RR heralds on them. I know that PVRR had gotten United Waste tranfer facility on there line was just wonder why they are in framingham if they are from there and where they are going too. Know there are some CSX folks on here...if anyone has any info just curious about it thanks
 #1240540  by GP40MC1118

Try and get a reporting mark and roadnumber and its possible to trace it and see where
it is going.

More than likely, they hare headed to Everett on B721.

D
 #1241250  by boatsmate

On Monday Night about 1900 I spotted a Sperry Rail car parked on the lead to Beacon park yard. I did not get the number because it caught me by surprise and I was all dark and appeared to be no one around.
 #1241791  by fsdemasi

Hi,

Has anyone noticed the old Alco switcher in South Boston at the Boston Terminal West first street yard has gone? Also the Boston Convention Center plans expansion, with renderings depicting air rights over the Boston Terminal Running track, the South Boston Haul Road, and the yard leading to track 61. Its too bad the yard has not been used in years so that it would provide the Boston Marine Industrial Park and the Sea Port build out with a local bulk transload as in the past. This would save truck drays from outside Boston as far as the Westborough CSX Bulk Translaod. The air rights may kill any chance for the state to lease out the yard now that it owns the yard and ROW.

Any thoughts?
 #1241870  by F-line to Dudley via Park

fsdemasi wrote:Hi,

Has anyone noticed the old Alco switcher in South Boston at the Boston Terminal West first street yard has gone? Also the Boston Convention Center plans expansion, with renderings depicting air rights over the Boston Terminal Running track, the South Boston Haul Road, and the yard leading to track 61. Its too bad the yard has not been used in years so that it would provide the Boston Marine Industrial Park and the Sea Port build out with a local bulk transload as in the past. This would save truck drays from outside Boston as far as the Westborough CSX Bulk Translaod. The air rights may kill any chance for the state to lease out the yard now that it owns the yard and ROW.

Any thoughts?
Massport's plans for Marine Terminal have a yard with capacity for 20 daily cars being constructed on the north end of the site, with a spur off Track 61 serving it. They don't have much detail in the plans about expansion space for >20 cars to track with port growth, but the study does a size comparison with Beacon Park of the acreage available so it's sort of assumed they can add to the storage over time. They definitely weren't in any way suggesting BP as a comparison for ultimate port yard size, but that was their metaphor for saying "there's a crapload of land here to do all kinds of stuff with!".

With that going online there'll never be a need for yard space in the middle of the line by the W. 1st turnout or Cypher St. yard. That's too wide open a place to leave unattended freight cars during the day, and since CSX would only be going there overnight to pick up there's the issue of how Marine Terminal would get the overflow cars down Track 61 on their own power. Trackmobiles and a tiny yard switcher are fine inside the port, but they'd have to become their own RR or become an appendage to state-owned Fore River RR to shunt stuff down the branch-proper. Especially with a passenger schedule potentially running there.

Hopefully they can find at least 1 or 2 online customers on that old spur at W. 1st/Cypher. The track that old Alco was sitting on has decent grade separation to tap as far down as E St. in an underutilized area that will always be industrial use even if the BCEC swallows everything on the other side of Cypher.
 #1260229  by bostontrainguy

Went by the Marine Terminal site yesterday and work is finally starting. Noticed a drawing on the fence that showed three large buildings but no tracks. I also took note of the grade between Track 61 at the design center and Tide Street where the rails are supposed to run. It might be a bit of a challenge connecting those two through the parking lot and across Drydock Ave.